Busha, Welchko

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2003
      I am looking for help in determining the correct spelling for the
      Welchko name. I know the Americanized version is wrong. I only know
      the person came from Czechoslovakia before 1900 but she would never
      identify the place she was from. I spoke with her youngest sister,
      age 99, last Thursday. She indicated the place sounded like "Zawala".
      (Yes, I know the "w" is a problem in both the name and place.) Her 83
      year-old daughter gave me "Vala".

      Any help in narrowing down the places where both names come from or
      the town's real name will be a great help.
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2003
        At 01:16 AM 6/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >I am looking for help in determining the correct spelling for the
        >Welchko name. I know the Americanized version is wrong. I only know
        >the person came from Czechoslovakia before 1900

        There was no Czechoslovakia until 1918. Slovakia was part of Upper
        Hungary. Velc^ko may have been the surname. There are three Velc^ko
        listed in Trencin, one in Vranov nad Toplu. It may not be a common name in
        Slovakia. I could find none in most of the major cities.

        Bus^a would be pronounced Busha. I found 3 in Poprad, one in Bratislava,
        two in Kosice, three in Presov, and two in Humenne. Again, it does not
        appear to be too common of a name in Slovakia.

        > but she would never identify the place she was from. I spoke with her
        > youngest sister,
        >age 99, last Thursday. She indicated the place sounded like "Zawala".
        >(Yes, I know the "w" is a problem in both the name and place.) Her 83
        >year-old daughter gave me "Vala".

        There is a town called Zavalja in the Ukraine and it may have been part of
        Upper Hungary at the turn of the last century. According to ShtetlSeeker it
        can sound like Zawala.

        http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl

        In Slovakia, ShtetlSeeker gave this location for Zvala:

        http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl

        I believe it is now part of Stakc^in.

        John M.
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2003
          At 09:17 PM 6/22/2003 -0600, you wrote:

          Sorry, It appears the ShtetkSeeker URL's I posted won't work. Try:

          http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

          and look for the towns you are interested in Slovakia and the Ukraine.

          John M.

          >At 01:16 AM 6/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          > >I am looking for help in determining the correct spelling for the
          > >Welchko name. I know the Americanized version is wrong. I only know
          > >the person came from Czechoslovakia before 1900
          >
          >There was no Czechoslovakia until 1918. Slovakia was part of Upper
          >Hungary. Velc^ko may have been the surname. There are three Velc^ko
          >listed in Trencin, one in Vranov nad Toplu. It may not be a common name in
          >Slovakia. I could find none in most of the major cities.
          >
          >Bus^a would be pronounced Busha. I found 3 in Poprad, one in Bratislava,
          >two in Kosice, three in Presov, and two in Humenne. Again, it does not
          >appear to be too common of a name in Slovakia.
          >
          > > but she would never identify the place she was from. I spoke with her
          > > youngest sister,
          > >age 99, last Thursday. She indicated the place sounded like "Zawala".
          > >(Yes, I know the "w" is a problem in both the name and place.) Her 83
          > >year-old daughter gave me "Vala".
          >
          >There is a town called Zavalja in the Ukraine and it may have been part of
          >Upper Hungary at the turn of the last century. According to ShtetlSeeker it
          >can sound like Zawala.
          >
          >http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl
          >
          >In Slovakia, ShtetlSeeker gave this location for Zvala:
          >
          >http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl
          >
          >I believe it is now part of Stakc^in.
          >
          >John M.

          >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

        • squinch42
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2003
            Thanks for the help. I wound not have tried that Vel^ko combination.
            Would you have any idea whether the spelling would have been
            different in Hungarian during the 1890's? That's what they would have
            spoken when they came through EI. I keep striking out when looking
            for a possible spelling combination even though I have a strong
            reason to believe they came through EI.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
            > At 01:16 AM 6/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
            > >I am looking for help in determining the correct spelling for the
            > >Welchko name. I know the Americanized version is wrong. I only know
            > >the person came from Czechoslovakia before 1900
            >
            > There was no Czechoslovakia until 1918. Slovakia was part of Upper
            > Hungary. Velc^ko may have been the surname. There are three
            Velc^ko
            > listed in Trencin, one in Vranov nad Toplu. It may not be a common
            name in
            > Slovakia. I could find none in most of the major cities.
            >
            > Bus^a would be pronounced Busha. I found 3 in Poprad, one in
            Bratislava,
            > two in Kosice, three in Presov, and two in Humenne. Again, it does
            not
            > appear to be too common of a name in Slovakia.
            >
            > > but she would never identify the place she was from. I spoke
            with her
            > > youngest sister,
            > >age 99, last Thursday. She indicated the place sounded
            like "Zawala".
            > >(Yes, I know the "w" is a problem in both the name and place.) Her
            83
            > >year-old daughter gave me "Vala".
            >
            > There is a town called Zavalja in the Ukraine and it may have been
            part of
            > Upper Hungary at the turn of the last century. According to
            ShtetlSeeker it
            > can sound like Zawala.
            >
            > http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl
            >
            > In Slovakia, ShtetlSeeker gave this location for Zvala:
            >
            > http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~shtetl
            >
            > I believe it is now part of Stakc^in.
            >
            > John M.
          • John M,
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23, 2003
              At 05:26 PM 6/23/2003 +0000, you wrote:
              >Thanks for the help. I wound not have tried that Velc^ko combination.
              >Would you have any idea whether the spelling would have been
              >different in Hungarian during the 1890's?

              Velcsko might be a variation since "cs" in Hungarian sound like "c^" in
              Slovak and "ch" in English. I believe in Hungarian Busa would be
              pronounced Busha. In Slovak Bus^a is pronounced Busha.

              John M
            • Richard D. Custer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2003
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
                  Thanks, Richard;

                  We knew Anastasia Welchko married George Hrib, who was from Ruskie
                  (sp), but not her origin. Since she married in 1909 at age 16 (she
                  lied about her age) as was the only one of her siblings born in
                  Europe, she was the natural starting point. I have struck out thus
                  far in finding LDS records as they cut off too early. The fact that
                  both villages were displaced only adds to the difficulty in tracing
                  the family lines. I know the Hrib family had relatives in Ulic but
                  would you have any idea where else the Welchko's might have had
                  roots? I intend to order some films tomorrow to begin the search,
                  village by village, if necessary.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Custer"

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 25, 2003
                    consider some of these names/villages from the SR phone book. Note the
                    Albert Velčický B.Smetanu , Trnava
                    Albert Velčický Vinodol
                    Alica Velčeková Kvetná , Drienov
                    Anna Velčeková Rovniankova , Bratislava
                    Anna Velčická Saratovská , Bratislava
                    Anton Velčický Štúrova , Komjatice
                    Augustín Velčík Záhradnícka , Bratislava
                    Aurel Velčický Budyšínska , Bratislava
                    Božena Velčická Miletičova , Bratislava
                    Dr. Jozef Velček Žižkova , Drienov
                    Dušan Velčický Cyrila a Metoda , Bánovce nad Bebravou
                    Dušan Velčický Biovetská , Nitra
                    Emília Velčická Lipová , Nitra
                    Erika Velčková Jegorovovo nám. , Košice
                    Eva Velčická Mostná , Nitra
                    Eva Velčíková Rozvodná , Bratislava
                    František Velcer Remetské Hámre
                    František Velčic Bizetova , Nitra
                    Helena Velčická Mládeže , Zlaté Moravce
                    Igor Velčický Vihorlatská , Nitra
                    Igor Velčík Mierová , Bratislava
                    Igor Velčík Mierová , Bratislava
                    Ing. Ján Velčic Bottova , Pezinok
                    Ing. Jozef Velček Krivá , Košice
                    Ing. Jozef Velčický Hollého , Hlohovec
                    Ing. Karol Velčický Športová , Močenok
                    Irena Velčeková Ovručská , Košice
                    Irena Velčicová Šoltésovej , Nové Zámky
                    Ján Velčický Medená , Bratislava
                    Ján Velčický Dunajská , Nitra
                    Ján Velčík Športová , Viničné
                    Ján Velčko Petrovce
                    Ján Velčok Víťaz
                    Jaroslav Velček Osuského , Bratislava
                    Jaroslav Velčický Oravská , Nitra
                    Jaroslav Velčický Pod vodojemom , Uhrovec
                    Jozef Velčicky Jurkovičova , Nitra
                    Jozef Velčický Sasinkova (m.č. Podháj) , Martin
                    Jozef Velčický Sv.Gorazda , Močenok
                    Jozef Velčický Kukučínova , Šaľa
                    Jozefína Velčická Znievska , Bratislava

                    Good Luck,

> [...]