Re: Help

  • Joyce Bracken
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 1999
      > > Subject: A way to help for the Holidays
      > >
      > > "This is genuine - The U.N. has done something very nice here.
      > >
      > > Go to the Hunger Site at the U.N. All you do is click a button and
      > > somewhere in the world some hungry person gets a meal to eat at no cost
      > > to you. The food is paid for by corporate sponsors.
      > >
      > > All you do is go to the site and click. But, you're only allowed one
      > > click per day so spread the word to others. "
      > >
      > > http://www.thehungersite.com
      > >
      > > John
    • Bruce Bagin
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 6, 2000
        What is the next step in finding my ancestors and can anyone confirm that
        the names are slovak?

        from the death certificates of my grandparents who lived and died in
        Milwaukee Wisconsin, I have learned the following:

        My grandfather KAROL BAGIN was born in CZECHO-SLOVAKIA on September 10, 1877
        to MICHAEL BAGIN and ELIZABETH KRALIK.

        My grandmother MARY BAGIN was born in Czecho-slovakia on June 15, 1881 to
        JOSEPH MINAR and EVA ZSIKAVSZKY.

        ANY HELP IS MOST WELCOME AND GREATLY APPRECIATED.

        Bruce Bagin
        312 Boulevard of the Allies,#600
        Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1923
        412-281-1110
        FAX 412-281-8481
        email bagin@...
      • John
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 6, 2000
          At 06:16 PM 8/6/00 -0700, you wrote:
          >What is the next step in finding my ancestors and can anyone confirm that
          >the names are slovak?

          Bruce,

          Try Maura's page http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlwat/instruct.htm for some
          good basics.

          John

          >from the death certificates of my grandparents who lived and died in
          >Milwaukee Wisconsin, I have learned the following:
        • Judy (& Dr. Joe) Quashnock
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 6, 2000
            Bruce,

            Things are a little sketchy now, but the key is to locate their hometown. Since
            you have a death certificate, I suggest you contact the church/cemetery where
            they were buried and ask for a copy of their record. This is how I located the
            town of my great grandparents. Until I did this, all official records just
            listed them as from "Austria". Once you have their town of birth, you can start
            looking at microfilmed church records, ship manifests, etc.

            Good luck.

            Dr. "Q"

          • johnshow@ktc.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 6, 2001
              Looking for help. My Grandmother, Barbara Mikec came to this
              country from Lescovac, Austria in 1893 on the ship Munchen .
              She departed from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
              Also my Uncle Frank Meze , came in 1913 from Fleckdorf,Austria
              on the ship Imperator . He departed from the Port of Hamburg,
              Germany. Can anyone on the list give me any information on
              either Fleckdorf or Lescovac. I would appreciate any help you
              all may be able to give me.
              Thank you.
              John - Fredericksburg , Texas
            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 20 , May 7, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., johnshow@k... wrote:
                > Looking for help. My Grandmother, Barbara Mikec came to this
                > country from Lescovac, Austria in 1893 on the ship Munchen .
                > She departed from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
                > Also my Uncle Frank Meze , came in 1913 from Fleckdorf,Austria
                > on the ship Imperator . He departed from the Port of Hamburg,
                > Germany. Can anyone on the list give me any information on
                > either Fleckdorf or Lescovac. I would appreciate any help you
                > all may be able to give me.
                > Thank you.
                > John - Fredericksburg , Texas

                Have looked at the Ellis Island Records for your surnames.

                Some who seek Slovenija (Slovenia) think it is the the same country as
                Slovakia (Slovensko)

                Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans.

                Slovakia was a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central Europe.

                If you write to Slovenia and don't use Slovenija, the letter probably
                gets mailed to Slovakia. If you use Slovensko for Slovakia the letter
                probably ends up in Slovenia ?
                U.S. Postal Service only recognizes these countrties under "Slovenia"
                and "Slovak Republic".

                Slovak is similar to Czech and the official language of Slovakia.
                Spoken by 5.6 million people.

                Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
                Rozumiem. (I understand )

                Slovenian is similar to Serbian and Croatian and the official language
                of the Republic of Slovenia , formerly part of Yugoslavia.
                Total about 2.2 million speakers (2 million are in Slovenia)

                Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
                Razumen. (I understand )

                Notwithstanding that Frank Meze was listed as Austrian, Slovak from
                Fleckdorf, Austria , believe that both ethnicity and place name are
                incorrect.
                The listings of the various other surnames Meze were from Slovenia
                and Croatia, later part of Yugoslavia.
                Before WW I parts of this territory were under Austrian control.
                For example, some Meze surname bearers were listed as from Lotsch,
                Austria , others from Logateo (misspelled), Carniola .
                Same place.
                Lotsch was German name for Slovene name Logatec.
                Didn't identify Fleckdorf yet, but -dorf meaning village
                was a common German (Austrian) place name affix in the region.

                Before WWI, the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy had stretched from Austria
                to Montenegro in the Balkans.

                Following the First World War, new borders for Austro-Hungarian
                Monarchy were set by the Treaties of Saint Germain-en-Laye (September
                10, 1919) and Trianon (June 4, 1920).

                As a result, the Austro-Hungarian Empire was utterly transformed into
                much smaller territories and new countries.

                Hungary became an entirely separate nation, but lost large portions of
                its territories as well, retaining only core Hungarian-speaking
                areas.
                Retained were West and Central Hungary plus a small western portion of
                the Banat, the northern portion of the Batschka, the Central
                Hungarian Highlands, and the northern portion of Swabian Turkey.

                A new country of Yugoslavia was also formed including the former
                Austro-Hungarian lands of the southern portion of the Banat, the
                southern portion of the Batschka, Bosnia-Hercegovina, the southern
                portion of the duchy of Carinthia (Slovenia), most of the of duchy
                of Carniola, Croatia-Slavonia, the kingdom of Dalmatia, the southern
                portion of Swabian Turkey, the southern portion of duchy of Styria,
                and Syrmia.

                The Kingdom of Serbs,Croats and Slovenes was established on Dec. 1,
                1918 and was renamed Yugoslavia on Oct. 4, 1929.
                In 1945 this became the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
                The six republics that formed the former Yugoslavia were : Bosnia and
                Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia, and Serbia.

                Other surnames on the same manifests were also listed as Slovak when
                these surnames were obviously South Slavic (Croatian or Slovenian)
                ethnicity.

                The same goes for the surname Mikec listed.
                Some Mikec surnames were also listed as Slovak ethnicity.

                Barbara Mikec was listed as from Lescovac, Austria.
                Lescovac is located 190 km SE of Belgrade in Serbia.
                Technically in 1893, Serbia was not part of Austrian
                Empire.

                There are enough errors on the ship manifests that this was probably
                another error.
                WW I began on August 1, 1914 when Austria had invaded Serbia.

                (In 1990s NATO and US planes bombed Serbia (all that was left of
                former Yugoslavia)

                Frank Kurcina
              • RAYMOND HOBER
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2001
                  I am looking for information on the family name of
                  Hobor or Hober,from the town of Gnezda (now called
                  Hniezdne) in Slovakia. Also the name Strahler from
                  Bardejov (formerly Bradfeld)also in Slovakia. I would
                  appreciate any knowledge of the names or where records
                  may be obtained. Elmtowne

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • John
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2001
                    At 09:12 AM 11/5/01 -0800, you wrote:
                    >I am looking for information on the family name of
                    >Hobor or Hober,from the town of Gnezda (now called
                    >Hniezdne) in Slovakia.

                    Do a search on Hniezden and Bardejov for the LDS microfilms at:

                    The Roman Catholic registers run from 1642-1951 in some
                    categories. Bardejov records also go back to the 1600's.

                    >Also the name Strahler from
                    >Bardejov (formerly Bradfeld)also in Slovakia. I would
                    >appreciate any knowledge of the names or where records
                    >may be obtained. Elmtowne

                    I couldn't find Strahler in the Slovak phone
                    directory http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html . You might try checking
                    the major cities. I tried a few with no luck. The name sounds
                    German. Could it have been spelled with an "e"? I did find a František
                    Hobor, Hniezdne in the directory.

                    John
                  • Jon Zatk
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 25, 2002
                      Can someone please tell me how to write Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Slavish. Thank you.

                      John Zatkovch

                      PS--Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

                    • Dr. Joe Q
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 26, 2002
                        S^t'astne' Va'noce (Šťastné Vánoce) - Merry Christmas
                        Vesele' Vianoce a S^t'astlivy Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianoce a Šťastlivy Nový Rok) - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
                        Vesele' Vianoce a U'spes^ny' Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianoce a Úspešný Nový Rok) - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
                        Vesele' Vianoc^ne a poz^ehnany Novy' Rok (Veselé Vianočné Sviatky a požehnaný Nový Rok) - Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year

                        And

                        Na zdravie.

                        To you.

                        Dr. "Q"

                        Jon Zatk wrote:

                        > Can someone please tell me how to write Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Slavish. Thank you.
                        >
                        > John Zatkovch
                        >
                        > PS--Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

                      • Nick Holcz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5 9:14 PM
                          I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife) that arrived in USA
                          Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                          I found a couple of possibilities in social security death indexes. I am
                          not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find out further information?

                          Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713

                          " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958

                          Nick
                        • Janet Thompson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6 12:36 AM
                            --- Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                            > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife)
                            > that arrived in USA
                            > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                            > I found a couple of possibilities in social security
                            > death indexes. I am
                            > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find
                            > out further information?
                            >
                            > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                            >
                            > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                            >

                            > Nick
                            >
                            > Hi Nick,

                            Try the 1930 census for the State/County/ township
                            that they went to live/work. Also try Ellis Island
                            Records and try LDS Family Search. GOOD LUCK Janet

                          • tltjlt2
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6 1:28 AM
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Janet Thompson <tltjlt2@y...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                              > > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife)
                              > > that arrived in USA
                              > > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                              > > I found a couple of possibilities in social security
                              > > death indexes. I am
                              > > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find
                              > > out further information?
                              > >
                              > > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                              > >
                              > > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                              > >

                              > > Nick
                              > >
                              > > Hi Nick,
                              >
                              > Try the 1930 census for the State/County/ township
                              > that they went to live/work. Also try Ellis Island
                              > Records and try LDS Family Search. GOOD LUCK Janet

                              Ellis Island Records
                              http://www.ellisislandrecords.org

                              http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.htm/

                              > http://www.familysearch.org/
                            • Frank
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6 3:17 AM
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                                > I am looking for Hirsch family ( husband and wife) that arrived in USA
                                > Benjamin in 1922 and Sidi in 1923.
                                > I found a couple of possibilities in social security death indexes. I am
                                > not sure if they are the ones I want. How can I find out further information?
                                >
                                > Benjamin Hirsch s.s.n. 140-28-3713
                                >
                                > " " s.s.n. 031-10-3958
                                >

                                > Nick

                                Nick,

                                Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                                surname spelling Hirsch ?

                                Since you have SS # s you can write for copy of SS# application form SS-5 which lists
                                surname's place of origin, parent's names, and mother's maiden name.
                                US government now charges $ 27 per copy.

                                The Social Security DEath Index (SSDI) lists 6,747 surnames Hirsch.

                                Based on those given names, expect they were Jewish ?
                                Siri = Sari, Sara, Sarah
                                Benyamin = Benjamin

                                Frank K
                              • Nick Holcz
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6 5:47 AM
                                  At 06:17 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                                  >Nick,
                                  >
                                  >Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                                  >surname spelling Hirsch ?

                                  No Frank I don't think that Hirsch and Holcz are the same name. My aunty
                                  Sidi Holcz married Benjamin Hirsch and went to the US to his brother Nathan
                                  Hirsch. Yes they were Jewish.I have had a friend look in the 1930 census
                                  but she says she can't find them.

                                  I have looked at Jewishgen and the SSDI and can find those two Benjamin
                                  Hirsch but no Sidi. I have also looked at LDS site without success. So I am
                                  stuck for further ideas.

                                  Those two Benjamins are the right age and that is all I have to go on.

                                  Nick
                                • Frank
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 6 7:30 AM
                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holcz <nickh@i...> wrote:
                                    > At 06:17 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                                    > >Nick,
                                    > >
                                    > >Perhaps you think the surname Holcz was transliterated into German
                                    > >surname spelling Hirsch ?
                                    > >

                                    > No Frank I don't think that Hirsch and Holcz are the same name. My
                                    aunty
                                    > Sidi Holcz married Benjamin Hirsch and went to the US to his
                                    brother Nathan
                                    > Hirsch. Yes they were Jewish.I have had a friend look in the 1930
                                    census
                                    > but she says she can't find them.
                                    >
                                    > I have looked at Jewishgen and the SSDI and can find those two
                                    Benjamin
                                    > Hirsch but no Sidi. I have also looked at LDS site without success.
                                    So I am
                                    > stuck for further ideas.
                                    >
                                    > Those two Benjamins are the right age and that is all I have to go
                                    on.

                                    Nick,

                                    My apology since had assumed you were located in USA researching
                                    Slovak surnames.
                                    I do surnames from OZ and NZ but they are usually Croatians who had
                                    emigrated there early on.
                                    Also do jewishgenners.

                                    Hirsch (G) = deer,stag
                                    Holz (G) = wood

                                    The two Benjamins were born in 1887.
                                    One was from State of Massachusetts (MA) and one was from New Jersey
                                    (NJ)
                                    In what American state did your aunt reside ?
                                    Emigrated in 1923 so between 1920 and 1930 US Censuses.

                                    Sidi would be listed in SSDI only if her husband had preceded her in
                                    death.

                                    If you knew where they had resided in US could write for possible
                                    American naturalization papers
                                    search via email message to pertinent National Archives and Records
                                    Admin. Center ( 12 in US).

                                    Frank K
                                  • Nick Holcz
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 6 7:49 PM
                                      At 10:30 PM 6/04/2004, you wrote:
                                      >Nick,
                                      >
                                      >My apology since had assumed you were located in USA researching
                                      >Slovak surnames.
                                      >I do surnames from OZ and NZ but they are usually Croatians who had
                                      >emigrated there early on.
                                      >Also do jewishgenners.
                                      >
                                      >Frank K

                                      Frank, I am in OZ tracing my father's Slovak family one of whom went to
                                      the US.

                                      Thanks for your help.
                                      Nick
                                    • J&H Helbrecht
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 6, 2005
                                        Will someone please tell me what this is? I have been getting these
                                        emails and have no idea what they are
                                        Thank you
                                        Jean

                                        SANAL DEDEKTI.FLI.K HI.ZMETLERI.

                                        TÜRKI.YE BU HI.ZMET VE TEKNI.G(I. KONUS,UYOR...
                                        YENI. TEKNOLOJI. HI.ZMETI.NI.ZDE!
                                        "Art?k es,ler, sevgililer, ortaklar birbirlerini aldatamayacak!"

                                        Sizi aldatt?g(?ndan kus,ku duydug(unuz kis,inin,

                                        * Sesli "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Geriye dönük/8 ayl?k vd.)
                                        * I.leriye yönelik sesli "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Haftal?k)
                                        * Görüs,me ân?ndaki "cep telefon kay?tlar?"na (Paralel/Sesli Dinleme)
                                        * Ald?g(?/gönderdig(i "SMS mesajlar?"na (Geriye dönük SMS/8 ayl?k vd.)
                                        * Ald?g(?/gönderdig(i "SMS mesajlar?"na (I.leriye yönelik SMS/Haftal?k)
                                        * Gelen/Giden arama kay?tlar?na (Geçmis,/Gelecek; Gizli No ve Çag(r?lar)
                                        * Gizledig(i "Özel" veya "Analog" numara bilgilerine (1 ve 2. kademe)
                                        * I.leri tarihlere yönelik Telekom telefonlar?na ait ses kay?tlar?na

                                        * Kis,isel bilgisayar?nda (ve online ortamda) kulland?g(? s,ifre bilgilerine
                                        * Hard Diskindeki her bir dosya vd. dokümanlara
                                        * "Thief" uygulamas? ile yapt?g(? her yaz?s,maya

                                        * Gelen/giden "e-mail yaz?s,malar?"na (Yaz?l? Metin: Anl?k/Geçmis,/Gelecek)
                                        * MSN Messenger "chat yaz?s,malar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                        * Yahoo Messenger "chat yaz?s,malar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                        * ICQ yaz?s,malar?na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                        * IRC odalar?nda yapt?g(? "chat kay?tlar?"na (Log Kay?tlar?: Anl?k/Gelecek)
                                        * Skype ve Paltalk odalar?ndaki "ses kay?tlar?"na (Sesli/Yaz?l?; Anl?k)
                                        * Sizi aldatt?g(? kis,inin "kimlik bilgileri"ne (Whois/Info/Contact)
                                        * IP protokolüne ve Internet'e eris,im sag(lad?g(? "Telekom numaras?"na
                                        * Aldatma içerikli diyaloglar?n yas,and?g(? "zamanlama bilgileri"ne

                                        Sizi ve/veya yak?nlar?n?z? rahats?z eden bir kis,inin,

                                        * (Gizli kay?t/özel numara bile olsa) Tel. numaras?na (1 ve 2. kademe)
                                        * (Sabit numara ise) Telefon numaras?na ve abone bilgilerine
                                        * (Cep telefonundan ar?yor ise) Tel. numaras?na ve yer tespitine
                                        * (Ankesör telefondan ar?yor ise) yer tespitine

                                        rahatl?kla ulas,abilir, bilmediklerinizi ög(renebilir,
                                        elde ettig(iniz bilgileri "belge" olarak kullanabilir,
                                        ilis,kilerinizi de bu veriler dog(rultusunda s,ekillendirebilirsiniz.

                                        Takip gerektiren is,leriniz için,

                                        * Kay?p kis,i bulma ve yer tespit çal?s,malar?
                                        * Çal?nt? arabalarda yer tespiti ve "bulma tüyolar?"
                                        * Ticari piyasa, rakip ve muhaliflerle ilgili tespit ve aras,t?rmalar
                                        * Kredi kart? ve banka hesab? doland?r?c?l?g(?nda fail tespiti
                                        * Kanun kaçaklar?n?n ve g?yâbi tutuklular?n bulunmas?nda is, takibi

                                        Ayr?ca,

                                        * "Tele-Kay?t" ile telefon görüs,melerini kaydedebilirsiniz.
                                        * "Tele-Kulak" ile kablosuz telefon dinleyebilirsiniz (Sabit tel/GSM).
                                        * "Casus-Kulakl?k" ile ortam dinleyebilirsiniz (Mesafe s?n?r? var/yok).
                                        * "Sound Converter" cihaz? ile sesinizi deg(is,tirerek konus,abilirsiniz.
                                        * "GSM-Casus" uygulamas? ile ses kayd? ve nakli yapabilirsiniz.
                                        * "Kap-kaç Alarm?"n? evinize, araban?za, is,yerinize uygulayabilirsiniz.

                                        Maliyet bilgilerini ve dig(er ög(renmek isteg(iniz ayr?nt?lar? sorunuz.
                                        Bu reklam sizi ilgilendirmiyorsa, lütfen ihtiyac? olanlar? bilgilendiriniz.

                                        N. Cem, Antalya, TR
                                        GSM ve SMS: 0546-797 93 76
                                        E-MAIL ve MSN: sd1005t4r@...
                                        ICQ: 310-115-006

                                      • Vladimir Linder
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 6, 2005
                                          It is in Turkish language from Antalia, southern Turkey.

                                          Vladi

                                        • Dr. Joe Q
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 7, 2005
                                            It could be spam, but I don't see usual $20 M USD or
                                            some other outrageous sum of money that you are going
                                            to get.

                                            It is from Turkey and that is why you have the ?
                                            marks. You have to select a compatible character set
                                            on your browser (under the View tab), try Unicode
                                            UTF-8 first, and others until you have only letters
                                            with various diacritical marks.

                                            I do not know any Turkish so I cannot begin to guess
                                            what the message is.

                                            Dr. "Q"

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com