Last Hope Research

  • Mebjwb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2003
      Hello Again,

      Research on Pavlik, Olsavsky

      I am hoping there is still a research avenue open for me in locating
      information about my maternal grandparents.

      After four years I finally have to admit I have reached the end of the road.
      They could not be located on any ship manifests from Ellis, Philadelphia or
      Baltimore. They could not be located in the books at the LDS Library showing
      passenger arrivals by name. The INS says there are no immigration or
      naturalization records for them. As of yesterday's mail, after three years and many
      letters, both the PA state records and the Federal records could not locate
      either of my Grandparents. The first Census record I can find for them is for 1930
      in Cleveland, Ohio (where I am also listed). I also have a change of name
      record from social security in 1936 showing Josef Pavlik's place of birth as
      Hungary.

      St. Michael Church, Homestead, PA has a record of the baptism of their first
      two children in 1900 and 1902. This record also lists Grandmother, Teresia
      Olsavsky as coming from Ung, and Grandfather, Josef Pavlik as coming from Zempl.
      I figure they both must have arrived before February, 1900 to account for
      first son's birth in October, 1900.

      I do not know where to search next. Do you have any suggestions, or should I
      indeed give up now? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so
      much for all your previous help. I look forward to hearing from you.

      Marge Bonifield

    • John Venham
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2003
        The only clues you have are the Ung. and Zempl.

        I suspect these are abbreviations for Ungarn (German
        for Hungary, which before 1919 included Slovakia) and
        Zemplinsky Kraj, the Eastern-most part of modern
        Slovakia.

        This narrows your search only so far. If you do not
        have an actual town of origin or birth, your search
        may in fact be over. I personally made some progress
        in my research by tracing the family tree forward to
        distant unknown cousins living today in the US; That
        is, if your ancestors had siblings or cousins that
        came over with them and then seem to disappear.usually
        someone somewhere is doing the genealogy as well, and
        if not the answer you're seeking, at least some more
        clues.

        Also, (and I had no success with this approach, or
        rather too much success),...you could do an internet
        search of the surname, which I'm sure you have, and
        from those postings in which the town of origin is
        known, you could map them individually through the
        shtetlseeker (online town locater in EEur)
        to see if there are any regional concentrations for
        the name. If you're lucky and the name seems to
        originate from a specific locale, there is the
        possibility of searching ALL the birth records in the
        area. This would be a very, very large task, and not
        one you'd want to pay a researcher to do, but it's
        worth a try.

        John

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • cataxgal
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 20, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mebjwb@a... wrote:
          > Hello Again,
          >
          > Research on Pavlik, Olsavsky

          Hello, I am new to the board and hope that the following info is not
          redundant and/or obvious.

          I checked the passanger lists at www.linktoyourroots.hamburg.de and
          found 4-5 persons with the same name as your grandfather. I also did
          a wildcard search of Olsav% for your grandmother and found 3 persons
          with variant spellings. There was no Teresia, but the persons listed
          were shown with a state of origin of Ungarn. You can look at the
          minor details shown, but there is a fee to see additional info ($20
          US for 1-3 names).

          I also enjoy browsing www.bogardi.com and www.radixindex.com. You
          might look up the town names in the 1913 Gazeteer of Hungry that he
          has available at bogardi.com.

          Again, hope this information is useful.

          Best of luck
          Megin H
        • mlthrush
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 21, 2003
            Megin,

            You mentioned bogardi.com and the radixindex.com. Is it worth the
            subscription fee to access the records. What type of information do
            you get for your money? The site looks very promising.

            Mary Lou