Re: [S-R] question for Mr. Vladimir Bohinc

  • Ron Milliken
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2003
      I agree with Catherine that spelling errors should not be corrected by
      the transcribers. There are so many place names that are nearly
      identical, that it would be easy for a transcriber to replace a
      misspelled village with the name of the wrong village. I feel that
      transcriptions should exactly reflect the original document, including
      words that appear to be misspelled. When I find a relevant
      transcription, I always go through great lengths to obtain a photocopy
      of the original document, because transcriptions contain so many errors
      and omissions.

      The most humorous case I found was a transcription that was marked "a
      complete and accurate transcription of the original". After months of
      prodding, I finally was able to obtain a copy of the original document,
      and found that the transcription was neither complete nor accurate.

      Ron