Re: A question,

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:
      > I looked up my maiden name in the Slovak telephone listings. I found
      > it spelled Gaèa. Would this sound the same as Gacha? If so, can
      > someone tell me anything about the town/village of Vlaca? Another
      > researcher told me that there were people buried in this town with
      > the surname Gacsa, and the phone listings show quite a few with the
      > Gaèa spelling. Also, do first names ever follow in a family? Such as
      > a child being named after a relative? The first names in the
      listings
      > are great matches for the first names that have traveled through our
      > family.
      > Any help would be appreciated greatly.
      > Thanks
      > Lori

      Gacsa is the Hungarian spelling for the Slovak surname Gac^a
      (Gacha)
      In old family names, diagraph ch or ts = cs and cz = c.

      This ^ symbol is called a hac^ek in Czech and a mäkc^en^ in Slovak.

      The Slovakia telephone directory lists surnames Gac^a under Pres^ov.
      Vlaca is located NE of Pres^ov and 6 miles distant from Kuková.

      When I examined first naming conventions several years ago, found that
      Slavic and Central European patterns seem to be the same as the
      English and Irish naming patterns.

      http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/35_donna.html?Welcome=994774593
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/naming.htm
      http://www.rootsource.com/names.htm
      http://www.tcarden.com/tree/ensor/Name.html

      In villages throughout Europe, where there were several or more same
      surname bearers with the same first names, a system of binomes/binames
      (a.k.a. ' aliases ') evolved.
      These double surnames were separated by a hyphen (-)
      Analogous to a married American woman using her her marrried and
      maiden names together and separated by a hyphen.

      Usually a nickname or ' alias ' was given the second surname bearer
      to distinguish him from the first (original) surname bearer.
      The name left of hyphen was the original surname and one to right
      was the alias, but not always.
      If another same surname with the same first name was born in village
      or moved there ? then this procedure needed to be repeated to
      differeniate these multiple surname bearers.

      Over time some binames became branch surnames.
      Sometimes the names were reversed with the names exchanged from one
      side to the other.
      And sometimes the surname bearers were not related.
      Some such names were recycled over the following generations in a
      village due to marriages.
      In addition, some surname bearers used one surname when resident in
      their village of origin and another surname when traveling away from
      village.
      Very confusing !

      Binames (nicknames) , or surnames were rare throughout Europe
      (800-1250 A.D.), and most names recorded during this period bear
      only a given name.
      The few individuals recorded with a biname bore a patronymic, formed
      from the father's first name.
      Between 1250-1526 Christian and saint's names became the standard.

      Binames or surnames could include patronymics - those derived from
      the Christian name or profession of the father - or also the name
      of the surname town of origin or residence.