Tanslation Help

  • Mary Lou Thrush
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2003
      Hello list,

      While searching through the LDS church records for Selice, I found what
      looked like an index of the records. I believe it is in Slovak. Can any
      one tell me what it says?

      Title: meno a priezvisko diefafa (or dietata) chlapec

      Columns were titled: Strana cislo
      matrieneho zapiso

      Sorry I can't type the discritic marks. Thanks.

      Mary Lou
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2003
        I can translate a couple of those words:

        meno (first name)
        priezvisko (surname)
        chlapec (boy/lad)
        strana (faction/side/party)
        cislo (index/number)
        zapiso (recorder/logger)

        The rest didn't come up on my dictionaries -- but I think that should help you. Someone else from this list surely would be able to figure out the rest.

        Caye

        Mary Lou Thrush <mlthrush@...> wrote:
        Hello list,

        While searching through the LDS church records for Selice, I found what
        looked like an index of the records. I believe it is in Slovak. Can any
        one tell me what it says?

        Title: meno a priezvisko diefafa (or dietata) chlapec

        Columns were titled: Strana cislo
        matrieneho zapiso

        Sorry I can't type the discritic marks. Thanks.

        Mary Lou

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2003
          Dear Caye,
          No party in church records :-)
          Strana means page.
          Vladimir

          > I can translate a couple of those words:
          >
          > meno (first name)
          > priezvisko (surname)
          > chlapec (boy/lad)
          > strana (faction/side/party)
          > cislo (index/number)
          > zapiso (recorder/logger)
          >
          > The rest didn't come up on my dictionaries -- but I think that should help
          you. Someone else from this list surely would be able to figure out the
          rest.

          > Caye
          >

          > Mary Lou Thrush <mlthrush@...> wrote:
          > Hello list,
          >
          > While searching through the LDS church records for Selice, I found what
          > looked like an index of the records. I believe it is in Slovak. Can any
          > one tell me what it says?
          >
          > Title: meno a priezvisko diefafa (or dietata) chlapec
          >
          > Columns were titled: Strana cislo
          > matrieneho zapiso
          >
          > Sorry I can't type the discritic marks. Thanks.
          >
          > Mary Lou
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • mlthrush
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2003
            Thanks to all who answered my post for translation help, both on and
            off the list. I looked back at the index headings and noticed there
            was also a second column heading labeled dievc^a. This I assume is
            girl. What confused me is that whoever compiled the index used the
            first column and then continued to the top and down the second column
            listing both females and males as they were born rather than males in
            one column and females in the other. Obviously, they were taking
            advantage of the preprinted forms they had on hand at the time.

            Mary Lou

            -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Thrush" <mlthrush@a...>
            wrote:
            > Hello list,
            >
            > While searching through the LDS church records for Selice, I found
            what
            > looked like an index of the records. I believe it is in Slovak.
            Can any
            > one tell me what it says?
            >
            > Title: meno a priezvisko diefafa (or dietata) chlapec
            >
            > Columns were titled: Strana cislo
            > matrieneho zapiso
            >
            > Sorry I can't type the discritic marks. Thanks.
            >
            > Mary Lou
          • Zuzana
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 16, 2003
              Hello,

              i hope my translation will help.

              Mary Lou Thrush <mlthrush@...> wrote:

              Hello list,

              While searching through the LDS church records for Selice, I found what
              looked like an index of the records. I believe it is in Slovak. Can any
              one tell me what it says?

              Title: meno a priezvisko diefafa (or dietata) chlapec
              Meno a priezvisko dietata - first and last name of a child

              Chlapec - boy

              Columns were titled: Strana cislo
              matrieneho zapiso
              Strana - page

              cislo - number

              I don't know what "matrieneho" is. Are you sure you spelled it right? And if "cislo" and "zapiso" belongs together, then it would be "cislo zapisu" and that would mean number of entry.
              Sorry I can't type the discritic marks. Thanks.

              Mary Lou

              Again, I hope I helped.

              Zuzana

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 16, 2003
                Matrika= Vital records book or office
                Matricny zapis = entry
                Matricneho zapisu = genitive of the above
                Vladimir