Re: introduction and some basic questions

  • JK
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
      Hi Robin:

      Check out our site, The Carpathian Connection http://www.tccweb.org/ we have
      excellent links for reference ranging from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire
      to Czechoslovakia to present day Czech and Slovak republics including
      information on Hungary, Czech and Slovak Republics, Ukraine and Poland. We
      also offer excellent reference data including essays, photos and, even
      folklore and a holiday customs page.

      Best Regards,
      Joy K
    • Al Stoffa
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
        Robin,

        Sovar is listed as the name for Solivar in 1808. I'm not positive but
        Solivar mah have been absorbed into Presov. Hope that helps.

        I have found records mostly in Hungarian with some Latin and a little
        Crylic (sp?).

        The books I have found most useful are Duncan Gardiner's "German Towns
        in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" which is out of print and Jared Suess'
        "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records".

        Hope this helps.

        Al Stoffa
        a_stoffa@...

        --- RAHannig00@... wrote:
        > I have been given the place name of "Sovar" by a relative who has
        > done some
        > cursory research. The family would have immigrated from this place
        > between
        > 1883 and 1892. She nor I have been able to figure out where this
        > place is or
        > was. Could anyone give me some direction on how to find this place,
        > such as
        > where to get old maps, a source for old village names that may have
        > changed,
        > etc.?
        > Other basic questions:
        > 1) Can anyone recommend any book(s) that would be good guides to
        > Slovak
        > research? I could use anything on history, culture, record-keeping.
        > 2) What language(s) might I be dealing with doing this research? Any
        >
        > recommendations for good dictionaries?
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        > Robin Hannig
        > Palmer, PA

        <HR>

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
          The Duncan Gardiner book "German Towns in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" is
          microfilmed and available via your local FHC. I have it on permanent
          loan at mine as it is only one item on a film with some other items,
          including a guide to Berlin Parishes which I needed for my German
          research.

          Of course I don't remember the film # offhand, but you could find it in
          the catalog fairly easily.
          It's not that many pages as I remember, so it wouldn't be that expensive
          to order the film and copy this item.

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
            Hi
            SOLIVAR is still a suburb of Presov.
            Mark

            "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
          • Joan Hendershot
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
              Hi Robin:

              I recently went thru Parish Record films of Solivar. They have Parish
              Registers of birth, marriages and deaths for Solivar from 1709 to 1896.
              They are Roman Catholic records.

              Film Nos. 1793888, 1793889, 1793890, 1793891, 1793892, 1793902, 1793903 and
              1793904.

              They can be ordered thru a Family History Center if you have a mormon church
              near you.

              Joan