New to list

  • Lori
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 9, 2003
      Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great grandmother
      on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
      Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband, whom
      she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
      named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of Gacha
      could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I cannot
      find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he arrived
      in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from here. I
      am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I am
      not sure exactly what Ruthenian means. Also, I would love to find out
      information about Szerednye if anyone knows how I could go about it.
      Thanks in advance for any help.
      Sincerely
      Lori Figorski
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 9, 2003
        At 04:15 AM 6/10/2003 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great grandmother
        >on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
        >Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband, whom
        >she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
        >named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of Gacha
        >could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I cannot
        >find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he arrived
        >in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from here. I
        >am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I am
        >not sure exactly what Ruthenian means.

        Hello Lori,

        A few good sites for information on Ruthenian (Rusyn) genealogy are:

        http://carpatho-rusyn.org/ history and other information

        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ Bill T's site. Bill is a member of this
        list.

        > Also, I would love to find out information about Szerednye if anyone
        > knows how I could go about it. Thanks in advance for any help.

        Szerednye (now Serednje) is now located in Ukraine. It was a part of Ung
        megye (County) in Upper Hungary prior to 1918. It is located between
        Uzhorod and Mukaceve.

        http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=48.5333&longitude=22.5000

        You can also find it on a 1910 map of Ung county located SE of Ungvar (now
        Uzhorod). It is located just before you leave the green area on the
        map. Its coordinates are Latitude: 48.53 Longitude: 22.50

        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg

        Research in Slovakia can be done using LDS FHC microfilms if you know his
        village. George would be Gyorgy in Hungarian. Since Slovakia did not
        exist before 1918 (it was a part of Upper Hungary), the manifest would
        probably use Gyorgy. Juraj is George in Slovak.

        John M.

        >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

      • Milan Huba
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 10, 2003
          It is my understanding that the Ruthenian were Ukaranians who lived in the
          northeastern part of the Kingdom of Hungary prior to 1918. The area, known
          as Ruthenia, because part of Slovakia and later after World War II, was
          annexed into the Soviet Union. I am not an expert on this subject so
          someone else may have a better or more complete answer.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 10, 2003
            Thank you John. You have given me much to check out. I will do some
            searching on George with the new name, as well as to hit the LDS
            center that is about 30 miles from here. Thanks again.. I really
            appreciate your help.
            Lori

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Lori
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 10, 2003
              Thank you.. Any infromation can only be of help to me. I appreciate
              it.
              Lori

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Milan Huba" <illy@f...> wrote:
              > It is my understanding that the Ruthenian were Ukaranians who lived
              in the
              > northeastern part of the Kingdom of Hungary prior to 1918. The
              area, known
              > as Ruthenia, because part of Slovakia and later after World War II,
              was
              > annexed into the Soviet Union. I am not an expert on this subject
              so
              > someone else may have a better or more complete answer.

            • squinch42
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 12, 2003
                Lori,
                Can you tell me the spelling you found your grandmother's name under
                on the EI site? I am searching for a slight variation - SZTEGENA - in
                AH. I am back to 1839 but now have a town/village I can't find on any
                map. I would appreciate knowing is the SZTEGEN name you found moved
                from elsewhere in AH. Mine were in Orlo/Orlov from roughly 1839 to
                1897. They migrated to Passaic, NJ before spreading out further. So
                far, I have eight spelling variations in the US, thanks to Ellis
                Island.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:
                > Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great
                grandmother
                > on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
                > Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband, whom
                > she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
                > named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of
                Gacha
                > could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I
                cannot
                > find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he
                arrived
                > in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from here.
                > am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I am
                > not sure exactly what Ruthenian means. Also, I would love to find
                out
                > information about Szerednye if anyone knows how I could go about
                it.
                > Thanks in advance for any help.
                > Sincerely
                > Lori Figorski
              • Lori
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 12, 2003
                  Hello, My ggrandmothers name once she came here was Stegun, but after
                  fruitless searches, I ran across Sztegun, and when I looked at the
                  manifest for the 1904 landing.. I have no idea about the 1909 one...
                  She was listed as going to her sister Julia in Alderson,PA(Harveys
                  Lake in Luzerne County)This all fit with word of mouth info I
                  recieved from my father. So to answer your question in one sentence,
                  I found her under the last name Sztegun. Looking up that spelling
                  again, it looks like all the people with that particualar spelling
                  came from Szerednye or from some spelling variation of it. I wish I
                  could be of more help, who knows, maybe we will find a connection at
                  some point.
                  Lori

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...>
                  wrote:
                  > Lori,
                  > Can you tell me the spelling you found your grandmother's name
                  under
                  > on the EI site? I am searching for a slight variation - SZTEGENA -
                  in
                  > AH. I am back to 1839 but now have a town/village I can't find on
                  any
                  > map. I would appreciate knowing is the SZTEGEN name you found moved
                  > from elsewhere in AH. Mine were in Orlo/Orlov from roughly 1839 to
                  > 1897. They migrated to Passaic, NJ before spreading out further. So
                  > far, I have eight spelling variations in the US, thanks to Ellis
                  > Island.
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:
                  > > Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great
                  > grandmother
                  > > on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
                  > > Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband,
                  whom
                  > > she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
                  > > named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of
                  > Gacha
                  > > could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I
                  > cannot
                  > > find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he
                  > arrived
                  > > in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from
                  here.
                  > > am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I
                  am
                  > > not sure exactly what Ruthenian means. Also, I would love to find
                  > out
                  > > information about Szerednye if anyone knows how I could go about
                  > it.
                  > > Thanks in advance for any help.
                  > > Sincerely
                  > > Lori Figorski
                • squinch42
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 13, 2003
                    I will get back to you after June 21st as I will be away. I, too, had
                    relatives who moved from Passaic, NJ to PA but we never found them
                    after they left. I will reveiw the site looking for the new spelling.

                  • squinch42
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2003
                      The place in Europe looks like it's Szerednye in Hungarian, Seredne
                      in Ukrainian and Seredn'oje in Rusyn. The village is ESE of Uzhorod
                      in Ung.

                      From looking at the manifest for both Borbala Sztegun's, I would
                      guess they are related. The 1909 woman was headed to her sister
                      Julia's in Brooklyn. The 1909 woman identified her father but I'm
                      guessing his name was Simon or something close to that as the data is
                      fuzzy. Since the surname from that village appears so often there are
                      likely family ties among those with the same village listed.

                      I didn't find any church records on LDS for your village that might
                      help you with your family hunt. You might try thr 1869 Hungarian
                      Census if you know your relative's parent's names.

                      I do know a Helen Stegun who used to work in Greenburgh, NY but
                      that's about all I know. The Sztegun name was probably the Hungarian
                      spelling with the Stegun name being its Rusyn equivalent.

                      My clan was too far northeast of your area to be related to yours.
                      Good luck in your search!

                    • jkmark@pacbell.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 17, 2010
                        My ancestors came from Orlov, Slovakia as well and my great great grandmother's name was Anna Stzegena. She was born abt. 1855/56 and married Michael Dolyak. I know that some distant relatives ended up in Passaic NJ so i'm sure we are speaking of the same Sztegena family. I do not have any more info further up on her (her parents names, etc) and am interested if you might. i do have a picture of her though. Sincerely, Julie

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@...> wrote:

                        > Hello, My ggrandmothers name once she came here was Stegun, but after
                        > fruitless searches, I ran across Sztegun, and when I looked at the
                        > manifest for the 1904 landing.. I have no idea about the 1909 one...
                        > She was listed as going to her sister Julia in Alderson,PA(Harveys
                        > Lake in Luzerne County)This all fit with word of mouth info I
                        > recieved from my father. So to answer your question in one sentence,
                        > I found her under the last name Sztegun. Looking up that spelling
                        > again, it looks like all the people with that particualar spelling
                        > came from Szerednye or from some spelling variation of it. I wish I
                        > could be of more help, who knows, maybe we will find a connection at
                        > some point.
                        > Lori
                        >

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Lori,
                        > > Can you tell me the spelling you found your grandmother's name
                        > under
                        > > on the EI site? I am searching for a slight variation - SZTEGENA -
                        > in
                        > > AH. I am back to 1839 but now have a town/village I can't find on
                        > any
                        > > map. I would appreciate knowing is the SZTEGEN name you found moved
                        > > from elsewhere in AH. Mine were in Orlo/Orlov from roughly 1839 to
                        > > 1897. They migrated to Passaic, NJ before spreading out further. So
                        > > far, I have eight spelling variations in the US, thanks to Ellis
                        > > Island.
                        > >

                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lori" <lfigorski@s...> wrote:
                        > > > Hello, I am new to this list. I have just found my great
                        > > grandmother
                        > > > on the Ellis Island site listed as Borbala Sztegen from Szerednye
                        > > > Hungary. She is listed as Ruthenian from Hungary. Her husband,
                        > whom
                        > > > she married after they were both in NE PA at least five years was
                        > > > named George Gacha. From what I have been told the spelling of
                        > > Gacha
                        > > > could have been Gacsa or Gacâ and George was from Slovakia. I
                        > > cannot
                        > > > find him anywhere on the Ellis Island site, though I know he
                        > > arrived
                        > > > in the US in 1905. My question is this.. where can I go from
                        > here.
                        > > > am at a total loss as to how to search outside of the US, and I
                        > am
                        > > > not sure exactly what Ruthenian means. Also, I would love to find
                        > > out
                        > > > information about Szerednye if anyone knows how I could go about
                        > > it.
                        > > > Thanks in advance for any help.
                        > > > Sincerely
                        > > > Lori Figorski

                      • Elaine
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 17, 2010
                          Welcome Julie, this is a great group. Quick question on your Dolyak
                          ancestor. do you know how the last name was pronounced?

                          Sent from my iPhone
                        • jkmark@pacbell.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 18, 2010
                            As far as i know it is pronounced pretty much as it looks - Dol, as in Dole Pineapples and Yak as in the animal. My cousin has a PhD in Russian and has said that that is how it is pronounced (he has done a lot of research on our Slovakian/Ukrainian roots as well)

                            thanks, Julie

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 18, 2010
                              Friendly reminder, a message subject with the actual topic content is
                              appreciated. You'll find more people will read and respond if they know
                              what the message is about!

                              On Tue, May 18, 2010 3:20 pm, jkmark@... wrote:
                              > As far as i know it is pronounced pretty much as it looks - Dol, as in
                              > Dole Pineapples and Yak as in the animal. My cousin has a PhD in Russian
                              > and has said that that is how it is pronounced (he has done a lot of
                              > research on our Slovakian/Ukrainian roots as well)
                              >
                              > thanks, Julie
                              >
                              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <elainep141@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Welcome Julie, this is a great group. Quick question on your Dolyak
                              >> ancestor. do you know how the last name was pronounced?
                              >>
                              >> Sent from my iPhone

                              Bill Tarkulich
                              http://www.iabsi.com