Re: Hungarian town location ?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7 3:14 PM
      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      In Hungarian, ó or öreg = old.
      In Magyar letter ó (pron. as aw in saw) was often used as a prefix
      for names of certain towns (equiv. to Slovak word for old,
      stará/staré/stary')

      For example,
      Stará Bas^ta (Sk) O'bást (H)
      Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk) O'Lubló (H)
      Stará Turá (Sk) O'tura (H)
      Staré Hory (Sk) O'hegy (H)
      Stary' Tekov (Sk) O'bars (H)

      This is not the same as letter o (also pron. as aw in saw, but
      shorter)
      Letter ö pron. like ur in fur.
      Letter o" pron. also pron. like ur in fur , without any r-sound.

      Some other place name equivalents used in records.
      Hungarian English Slovak grammatical form
      kis little malá/malé/maly'
      nagy large vel'ká/vel'ké/vel'ky'
      felso" upper horná/horné/horny'
      alsó lower dolná/dolné/dolny'