Re: [S-R] Re: Hungarian town location?

  • Pat Galovich
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
      Hi Vladimir: Thank you - if only I was 50 years younger; it would certainly make learning a new language easier! Much appreciated.

      Regards,
      Pat
      _______________________

      Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

      > Dear Pat,
      > You must be careful.
      > The O I was talking about was hungarian.It means old.
      > Now, you talk about a slovak O; upper or lower case, no matter, it means
      > about.
      > Slovak places used to have hungarian names. Even those hungarian names
      > varied through time. This is giving a lot of headache to many searchers.
      > This is why I recommend to buy the book about those names.
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

    • R D Gale

        > Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation
        site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send
        an email to
        > a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about"
        is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does
        the
        > upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        > Regards,
        > Pat
        > _______________________
        >
        > Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
        >
        > > Dear Andrea,
        > > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
        > > This O has an accent on it.
        > > Ofalu is Old Village.
        > > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
        > > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this
        name.
        > > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous
        interest
        > > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
        > > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
        > > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
        > > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
        > > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
        > > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
        > > Vladimir Bohinc

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
          At 10:12 PM 6/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >Dean Vladimir: Thank you for the information about the book by Milan
          >Majtan. Where can I buy it? Bobbi Gale

          http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=175&ProcessType=1

          John M.

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
            Thank you John,
            Vladimir

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            > >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to

            > >http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank email to

          • roberta kostka
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
              Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.

              I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he sell maps? How would I contact him?

              Thank you again, Roberta

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                At 02:25 PM 6/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                >Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from
                >you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.
                >
                >I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he
                >sell maps? How would I contact him?

                http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/

                Maps online:

                http://mapy.atlas.sk/aquariusnet/frm_uvod.asp