Re: [S-R] Re: Hungarian town location?

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7 10:43 AM
      Dear Andrea,
      You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
      This O has an accent on it.
      Ofalu is Old Village.
      Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
      O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this name.
      I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous interest
      in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
      slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
      prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
      You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
      names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
      And, you don't have to know slovak either.
      Vladimir Bohinc

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7 11:04 AM
        Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send an email to
        a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about" is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does the
        upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?

        Thank you for your help.
        Regards,
        Pat
        _______________________

        Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

        > Dear Andrea,
        > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
        > This O has an accent on it.
        > Ofalu is Old Village.
        > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
        > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this name.
        > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous interest
        > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
        > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
        > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
        > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
        > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
        > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
        > Vladimir Bohinc

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7 1:20 PM
          Dear Pat,
          You must be careful.
          The O I was talking about was hungarian.It means old.
          Now, you talk about a slovak O; upper or lower case, no matter, it means
          about.
          Slovak places used to have hungarian names. Even those hungarian names
          varied through time. This is giving a lot of headache to many searchers.
          This is why I recommend to buy the book about those names.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          > Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation
          site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send
          an email to
          > a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about"
          is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does
          the
          > upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?
          >
          > Thank you for your help.
          > Regards,
          > Pat
          > _______________________
          >
          > Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
          >
          > > Dear Andrea,
          > > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
          > > This O has an accent on it.
          > > Ofalu is Old Village.
          > > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
          > > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this
          name.
          > > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous
          interest
          > > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
          > > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
          > > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
          > > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
          > > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
          > > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
          > > Vladimir Bohinc

        • Pat Galovich
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7 3:04 PM
            Hi Vladimir: Thank you - if only I was 50 years younger; it would certainly make learning a new language easier! Much appreciated.

            Regards,
            Pat
            _______________________

          • R D Gale
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11 8:12 PM

              > Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation
              site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send
              an email to
              > a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about"
              is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does
              the
              > upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?
              >
              > Thank you for your help.
              > Regards,
              > Pat
              > _______________________
              >
              > Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
              >
              > > Dear Andrea,
              > > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
              > > This O has an accent on it.
              > > Ofalu is Old Village.
              > > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
              > > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this
              name.
              > > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous
              interest
              > > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
              > > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
              > > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
              > > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
              > > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
              > > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
              > > Vladimir Bohinc

            • John M,
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11 10:31 PM
                At 10:12 PM 6/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >Dean Vladimir: Thank you for the information about the book by Milan
                >Majtan. Where can I buy it? Bobbi Gale

                http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=175&ProcessType=1

                John M.

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 12 11:08 AM
                  Thank you John,
                  Vladimir

                  > >Dean Vladimir: Thank you for the information about the book by Milan
                  > >Majtan. Where can I buy it? Bobbi Gale

                  http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=175&ProcessType
                  =1

                  > John M.

                • roberta kostka
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 12 2:25 PM
                    Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.

                    I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he sell maps? How would I contact him?

                    Thank you again, Roberta

                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12 3:06 PM
                      At 02:25 PM 6/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                      >Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from
                      >you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.
                      >
                      >I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he
                      >sell maps? How would I contact him?

                      http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/

                      Maps online:

                      http://mapy.atlas.sk/aquariusnet/frm_uvod.asp