Re: introduction and some basic questions

  • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
      Hi Joan,
      thanks, you are the second person to suggest this might be Solivar. Do
      you know when this would have been part of Hungary? I know the family was
      there in 1883, which I understand was during the Austro-Hungarian empire.
      Would it have been called Hungary then? As you can see, I have a lot to
      learn about history/political divisions in this area. I need a brief history
      of who ruled where when, what the different countries were called at
      different times, and some maps of countries and their border changes over
      time. If anyone knows a good source for this, I'd appreciate knowing.
      Robin Hannig.

      << Could this possibly be Solivar. It was called Soovar in Saros Co. Hungary.

      Joan

    • JK
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
        Hi Robin:

        Check out our site, The Carpathian Connection http://www.tccweb.org/ we have
        excellent links for reference ranging from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire
        to Czechoslovakia to present day Czech and Slovak republics including
        information on Hungary, Czech and Slovak Republics, Ukraine and Poland. We
        also offer excellent reference data including essays, photos and, even
        folklore and a holiday customs page.

        Best Regards,
        Joy K
      • Al Stoffa
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
          Robin,

          Sovar is listed as the name for Solivar in 1808. I'm not positive but
          Solivar mah have been absorbed into Presov. Hope that helps.

          I have found records mostly in Hungarian with some Latin and a little
          Crylic (sp?).

          The books I have found most useful are Duncan Gardiner's "German Towns
          in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" which is out of print and Jared Suess'
          "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records".

          Hope this helps.

          Al Stoffa
          a_stoffa@...

          --- RAHannig00@... wrote:
          > I have been given the place name of "Sovar" by a relative who has
          > done some
          > cursory research. The family would have immigrated from this place
          > between
          > 1883 and 1892. She nor I have been able to figure out where this
          > place is or
          > was. Could anyone give me some direction on how to find this place,
          > such as
          > where to get old maps, a source for old village names that may have
          > changed,
          > etc.?
          > Other basic questions:
          > 1) Can anyone recommend any book(s) that would be good guides to
          > Slovak
          > research? I could use anything on history, culture, record-keeping.
          > 2) What language(s) might I be dealing with doing this research? Any
          >
          > recommendations for good dictionaries?
          > Thanks in advance for your help.
          > Robin Hannig
          > Palmer, PA

          <HR>

        • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
            The Duncan Gardiner book "German Towns in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" is
            microfilmed and available via your local FHC. I have it on permanent
            loan at mine as it is only one item on a film with some other items,
            including a guide to Berlin Parishes which I needed for my German
            research.

            Of course I don't remember the film # offhand, but you could find it in
            the catalog fairly easily.
            It's not that many pages as I remember, so it wouldn't be that expensive
            to order the film and copy this item.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
            sabinov@...
            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
              Hi
              SOLIVAR is still a suburb of Presov.
              Mark

              "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
            • Joan Hendershot
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
                Hi Robin:

                I recently went thru Parish Record films of Solivar. They have Parish
                Registers of birth, marriages and deaths for Solivar from 1709 to 1896.
                They are Roman Catholic records.

                Film Nos. 1793888, 1793889, 1793890, 1793891, 1793892, 1793902, 1793903 and
                1793904.

                They can be ordered thru a Family History Center if you have a mormon church
                near you.

                Joan