Hungarian town location?

  • Mary Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi, could use some help. on the www.ellisisland.org site, my grandmother and
      5 of her children (my mother included) returned from a trip to Hungary where they had
      visited relatives. Her name was Hrubi, Maria arriving 23 May 1900 and the passenger
      record listed the place of residence as MARTUSTALU in Hungary. I have scoured old
      maps and have not had any luck finding it. My cousin said it is near what was
      called Nagybecskerek now known as Zrenjanin. Any help greatly appreciated.
      Thank you, Maryhelen Johnson

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 2, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Johnson <mhmj1117@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi, could use some help. on the www.ellisisland.org site, my
        grandmother and
        > 5 of her children (my mother included) returned from a trip to
        Hungary where they had
        > visited relatives. Her name was Hrubi, Maria arriving 23 May 1900
        and the passenger
        > record listed the place of residence as MARTUSTALU in Hungary. I
        have scoured old
        > maps and have not had any luck finding it. My cousin said it is
        near what was
        > called Nagybecskerek now known as Zrenjanin. Any help greatly
        appreciated.
        > Thank you, Maryhelen Johnson

        Donauschwaben village

        Großbetschkerek

        Village Names:

        German: Großbetschkerek, Betschkerek
        Official: Zrenjanin
        Hungarian: Nagybecskerek
        Spelling and/or dialect variants: Petrovgrad

        Location:

        Country: Yugoslavia
        70km N of Belgrade
        Postal Code: 23000
        Railroad station: Zrenjanin

        Population:

        1931: 5904 Germans

        Genealogical Records:

        Village name in FHL records: Gross Betschkerek, Nagybecskerek
        Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1753-1815,
        Marriages 1753-1834, Deaths 1753-1816
        FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858415, 0858416

        Miscellaneous:

        Founded: Germans settled in 1728; expanded in 1764
        Bibliography
        Location of a a prisoner camp for Germans held by partisans
        during World War II.

      • Mary Johnson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
          Is MARTUSTALU the correct spelling? because I still cannot find it. Mary

          Frank <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary Johnson <mhmj1117@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi, could use some help. on the www.ellisisland.org site, my
          grandmother and
          > 5 of her children (my mother included) returned from a trip to
          Hungary where they had
          > visited relatives. Her name was Hrubi, Maria arriving 23 May 1900
          and the passenger
          > record listed the place of residence as MARTUSTALU in Hungary. I
          have scoured old
          > maps and have not had any luck finding it. My cousin said it is
          near what was
          > called Nagybecskerek now known as Zrenjanin. Any help greatly
          appreciated.
          > Thank you, Maryhelen Johnson

          Donauschwaben village

          Gro�betschkerek

          Village Names:

          German: Gro�betschkerek, Betschkerek
          Official: Zrenjanin
          Hungarian: Nagybecskerek
          Spelling and/or dialect variants: Petrovgrad

          Location:

          Country: Yugoslavia
          70km N of Belgrade
          Postal Code: 23000
          Railroad station: Zrenjanin

          Population:

          1931: 5904 Germans

          Genealogical Records:

          Village name in FHL records: Gross Betschkerek, Nagybecskerek
          Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1753-1815,
          Marriages 1753-1834, Deaths 1753-1816
          FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858415, 0858416

          Miscellaneous:

          Founded: Germans settled in 1728; expanded in 1764
          Bibliography
          Location of a a prisoner camp for Germans held by partisans
          during World War II.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
            Dear Mary,
            The place was called Markusfalu and is now Markusovce, located very near
            Spisska Nova Ves.
            Please, forget Zrenjanin.
            There are two more persons ( apart from this family)on Ellis island, that
            also came from this village. One is spelled correctly.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            > Is MARTUSTALU the correct spelling? because I still cannot find it. Mary
            >
            > Frank <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Mary
            Johnson <mhmj1117@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi, could use some help. on the www.ellisisland.org site, my
            > grandmother and
            > > 5 of her children (my mother included) returned from a trip to
            > Hungary where they had
            > > visited relatives. Her name was Hrubi, Maria arriving 23 May 1900
            > and the passenger
            > > record listed the place of residence as MARTUSTALU in Hungary. I
            > have scoured old
            > > maps and have not had any luck finding it. My cousin said it is
            > near what was
            > > called Nagybecskerek now known as Zrenjanin. Any help greatly
            > appreciated.
            > > Thank you, Maryhelen Johnson
            >
            > Donauschwaben village
            >
            > Großbetschkerek
            >
            > Village Names:
            >
            > German: Großbetschkerek, Betschkerek
            > Official: Zrenjanin
            > Hungarian: Nagybecskerek
            > Spelling and/or dialect variants: Petrovgrad
            >
            > Location:
            >
            > Country: Yugoslavia
            > 70km N of Belgrade
            > Postal Code: 23000
            > Railroad station: Zrenjanin
            >
            > Population:
            >
            > 1931: 5904 Germans
            >
            > Genealogical Records:
            >
            > Village name in FHL records: Gross Betschkerek, Nagybecskerek
            > Church records available at FHL: Christenings 1753-1815,
            > Marriages 1753-1834, Deaths 1753-1816
            > FHL Microfilm Nr. 0858415, 0858416
            >
            > Miscellaneous:
            >
            > Founded: Germans settled in 1728; expanded in 1764
            > Bibliography
            > Location of a a prisoner camp for Germans held by partisans
            > during World War II.

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
              The ending -falu means town, I think. Try that instead.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                It means village, Andrea.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2003
                  Thanks once again. So, for example, the village of Ofalu. O Village? :-}

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                    Dear Andrea,
                    You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
                    This O has an accent on it.
                    Ofalu is Old Village.
                    Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
                    O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this name.
                    I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous interest
                    in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
                    slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
                    prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
                    You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
                    names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
                    And, you don't have to know slovak either.
                    Vladimir Bohinc

                    > Thanks once again. So, for example, the village of Ofalu. O Village?
                    :-}

                  • Pat Galovich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                      Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send an email to
                      a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about" is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does the
                      upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?

                      Thank you for your help.
                      Regards,
                      Pat
                      _______________________

                      Vladimir Bohinc wrote:

                      > Dear Andrea,
                      > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
                      > This O has an accent on it.
                      > Ofalu is Old Village.
                      > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
                      > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this name.
                      > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous interest
                      > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
                      > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
                      > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
                      > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
                      > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
                      > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
                      > Vladimir Bohinc

                    • Vladimir Bohinc
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                        Dear Pat,
                        You must be careful.
                        The O I was talking about was hungarian.It means old.
                        Now, you talk about a slovak O; upper or lower case, no matter, it means
                        about.
                        Slovak places used to have hungarian names. Even those hungarian names
                        varied through time. This is giving a lot of headache to many searchers.
                        This is why I recommend to buy the book about those names.
                        Regards,
                        Vladimir

                        > Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation
                        site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send
                        an email to
                        > a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about"
                        is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does
                        the
                        > upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?
                        >
                        > Thank you for your help.
                        > Regards,
                        > Pat
                        > _______________________
                        >
                        > Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
                        >
                        > > Dear Andrea,
                        > > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
                        > > This O has an accent on it.
                        > > Ofalu is Old Village.
                        > > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
                        > > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this
                        name.
                        > > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous
                        interest
                        > > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
                        > > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
                        > > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
                        > > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
                        > > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
                        > > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
                        > > Vladimir Bohinc

                      • Pat Galovich
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 7, 2003
                          Hi Vladimir: Thank you - if only I was 50 years younger; it would certainly make learning a new language easier! Much appreciated.

                          Regards,
                          Pat
                          _______________________

                        • R D Gale
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003

                            > Vladimir: I have been using an online English to Slovak translation
                            site - http://www.dcsoft.sk/mac/qdictsearch/index.phtml - in order to send
                            an email to
                            > a relative in Poprad. The explanation given for the English word "about"
                            is shown to be "o" (lower case). Am I interpreting this correctly? Does
                            the
                            > upper case "O" mean something different, ie. "old"?
                            >
                            > Thank you for your help.
                            > Regards,
                            > Pat
                            > _______________________
                            >
                            > Vladimir Bohinc wrote:
                            >
                            > > Dear Andrea,
                            > > You will not believe me, but "O" means Old!!
                            > > This O has an accent on it.
                            > > Ofalu is Old Village.
                            > > Stara Tura for example is O-Tura.
                            > > O falu is also Spisska Stara ves. There are several villages with this
                            name.
                            > > I would strongly suggest everyone, that has a kind of continuous
                            interest
                            > > in slovak genealogy, to finally purchase a book called ;"Nazvy obcy
                            > > slovenskej republiky" from Milan Majtan. This and a good map are
                            > > prerequisites for a genealogy freak. You can order that with Dan Kisha.
                            > > You will learn a whole lot about the historical development of the place
                            > > names. No excuses for not having it are valid.
                            > > And, you don't have to know slovak either.
                            > > Vladimir Bohinc

                          • John M,
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2003
                              At 10:12 PM 6/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                              >Dean Vladimir: Thank you for the information about the book by Milan
                              >Majtan. Where can I buy it? Bobbi Gale

                              http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=175&ProcessType=1

                              John M.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                                Thank you John,
                                Vladimir

                                > >Dean Vladimir: Thank you for the information about the book by Milan
                                > >Majtan. Where can I buy it? Bobbi Gale

                                http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/processtype.asp?ProductID=175&ProcessType
                                =1

                                > John M.

                              • roberta kostka
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                                  Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.

                                  I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he sell maps? How would I contact him?

                                  Thank you again, Roberta

                                • John M,
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 12, 2003
                                    At 02:25 PM 6/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:

                                    >Thank you for the information. I am currently using what I found out from
                                    >you to see what I can find on CHARLES LOKATOS.
                                    >
                                    >I am wondering about a map of the area. You mentioned Dan Kisha, does he
                                    >sell maps? How would I contact him?

                                    http://www.slovakimportcompany.com/

                                    Maps online:

                                    http://mapy.atlas.sk/aquariusnet/frm_uvod.asp