introduction and some basic questions

  • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
      Hi,
      My name is Robin Hannig, and I joined this list a few days ago. First I'd
      like to say I'm impressed with how much some of you know, after seeing your
      discussion about latin translations. I've been researching Latin records
      from Tyrol for 2 years now, and I don't know if I've learned nearly that much.
      Anyway.. to the point. I am now starting research on my husband's family.
      His maternal side is Slovak. I have only been working my way back on the
      family in the US, but now I have some names, dates, and a place, supposedly
      in Slovakia.
      I have been given the place name of "Sovar" by a relative who has done some
      cursory research. The family would have immigrated from this place between
      1883 and 1892. She nor I have been able to figure out where this place is or
      was. Could anyone give me some direction on how to find this place, such as
      where to get old maps, a source for old village names that may have changed,
      etc.?
      Other basic questions:
      1) Can anyone recommend any book(s) that would be good guides to Slovak
      research? I could use anything on history, culture, record-keeping.
      2) What language(s) might I be dealing with doing this research? Any
      recommendations for good dictionaries?
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Robin Hannig
      Palmer, PA
    • Joan Hendershot
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
        Could this possibly be Solivar. It was called Soovar in Saros Co. Hungary.

        Joan
      • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
          Hi Joan,
          thanks, you are the second person to suggest this might be Solivar. Do
          you know when this would have been part of Hungary? I know the family was
          there in 1883, which I understand was during the Austro-Hungarian empire.
          Would it have been called Hungary then? As you can see, I have a lot to
          learn about history/political divisions in this area. I need a brief history
          of who ruled where when, what the different countries were called at
          different times, and some maps of countries and their border changes over
          time. If anyone knows a good source for this, I'd appreciate knowing.
          Robin Hannig.

          << Could this possibly be Solivar. It was called Soovar in Saros Co. Hungary.

          Joan

        • JK
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
            Hi Robin:

            Check out our site, The Carpathian Connection http://www.tccweb.org/ we have
            excellent links for reference ranging from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire
            to Czechoslovakia to present day Czech and Slovak republics including
            information on Hungary, Czech and Slovak Republics, Ukraine and Poland. We
            also offer excellent reference data including essays, photos and, even
            folklore and a holiday customs page.

            Best Regards,
            Joy K
          • Al Stoffa
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
              Robin,

              Sovar is listed as the name for Solivar in 1808. I'm not positive but
              Solivar mah have been absorbed into Presov. Hope that helps.

              I have found records mostly in Hungarian with some Latin and a little
              Crylic (sp?).

              The books I have found most useful are Duncan Gardiner's "German Towns
              in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" which is out of print and Jared Suess'
              "Handy Guide to Hungarian Genealogical Records".

              Hope this helps.

              Al Stoffa
              a_stoffa@...

              --- RAHannig00@... wrote:
              > I have been given the place name of "Sovar" by a relative who has
              > done some
              > cursory research. The family would have immigrated from this place
              > between
              > 1883 and 1892. She nor I have been able to figure out where this
              > place is or
              > was. Could anyone give me some direction on how to find this place,
              > such as
              > where to get old maps, a source for old village names that may have
              > changed,
              > etc.?
              > Other basic questions:
              > 1) Can anyone recommend any book(s) that would be good guides to
              > Slovak
              > research? I could use anything on history, culture, record-keeping.
              > 2) What language(s) might I be dealing with doing this research? Any
              >
              > recommendations for good dictionaries?
              > Thanks in advance for your help.
              > Robin Hannig
              > Palmer, PA

              <HR>

            • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
                The Duncan Gardiner book "German Towns in Slovakia and Upper Hungary" is
                microfilmed and available via your local FHC. I have it on permanent
                loan at mine as it is only one item on a film with some other items,
                including a guide to Berlin Parishes which I needed for my German
                research.

                Of course I don't remember the film # offhand, but you could find it in
                the catalog fairly easily.
                It's not that many pages as I remember, so it wouldn't be that expensive
                to order the film and copy this item.

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
                sabinov@...
                Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
                  Hi
                  SOLIVAR is still a suburb of Presov.
                  Mark

                  "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
                • Joan Hendershot
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
                    Hi Robin:

                    I recently went thru Parish Record films of Solivar. They have Parish
                    Registers of birth, marriages and deaths for Solivar from 1709 to 1896.
                    They are Roman Catholic records.

                    Film Nos. 1793888, 1793889, 1793890, 1793891, 1793892, 1793902, 1793903 and
                    1793904.

                    They can be ordered thru a Family History Center if you have a mormon church
                    near you.

                    Joan