RABATIN

  • RMH
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2003
      Sergio -

      My maiden name was RABATIN and my grandfather was from Secovska Polianka in
      Zemplin. It is not far from Kosice. I think Kosice is the nearest large
      city - Sec.Pol. is also near Humenne and Vranov na Toplou (hope I'm
      remembering to spell them correctly).

      I did the Ellis Island search and found that several men came to my
      grandfather whose name was Andrej Rabatin - he was in Haverstraw, Rockland
      County, NY, which had a large Slovak population. I think some men who came
      later returned to Europe.

      There was a Jan Rabatin from the same town - Secovska Polianka - but he was
      going to his brother Johan in Ohio in 1920. There was also a Pal Rabatin
      who came in 1901 at age 24, and he was going to his uncle "Andras Rabatin"
      in Haverstraw, so he must have been my grandfather's brother's son. "Pal" -
      according to a response I got to a query I put on the Slovak mail list - is
      "a good Hungarian name".

      If I find more info that might be of help I will write again.

      Regina Rabatin Haring
      Nanuet, NY

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT