Re: [S-R] Know something about me

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2003
      At 01:41 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >If anone could help me:
      >At the moment I've got very feew informations:
      >My grandfather was Jura Rabatin, translated in spanish his name was Jorge
      >Rabatin (That means George Rabatin)
      >Born in June 1st 1899 in a place that my father call Kosice province.
      >His father was Jan Rabatin and his mother Elizabeth Varolic.
      >He had got older brothers and sisters in USA. Some of them were religious
      >(catholics).
      >My cousin has got a few photographs but I don't know who are the peoples
      >in them and nobody in here knows that. The people that knew that are all dead.
      >
      >I know this is not a lot of information but...

      Sergio,

      There are 85 Rabatin listed in the Ellis Island Database. These are the
      people that arrived in New York from 1892 to 1924. Most are from
      Hungary. They come from many towns.

      http://www.ellisisland.org/

      There are 186 Rabatin listed in the online US phone directory:

      http://www.switchboard.com/

      There are 23 Rabatin/Rabatinova listed for Kosice in the Slovak online
      phone directory.

      http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

      Have you tried to get your family's Argentinean immigration records or
      citizenship records? If your family belonged to a church in Argentina the
      church might have records telling what town they were from. If you know
      the town it becomes much easier.

      John M.
    • Sergio Fabián RABATIN
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2003
        John:
        Today I'll meet my mother. Maybe she knows something about records of baptisms etc.
        I'll send you an other mail then.

        Sergio Rabatin

        "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
        At 01:41 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >If anone could help me:
        >At the moment I've got very feew informations:
        >My grandfather was Jura Rabatin, translated in spanish his name was Jorge
        >Rabatin (That means George Rabatin)
        >Born in June 1st 1899 in a place that my father call Kosice province.
        >His father was Jan Rabatin and his mother Elizabeth Varolic.
        >He had got older brothers and sisters in USA. Some of them were religious
        >(catholics).
        >My cousin has got a few photographs but I don't know who are the peoples
        >in them and nobody in here knows that. The people that knew that are all dead.
        >
        >I know this is not a lot of information but...

        Sergio,

        There are 85 Rabatin listed in the Ellis Island Database. These are the
        people that arrived in New York from 1892 to 1924. Most are from
        Hungary. They come from many towns.

        http://www.ellisisland.org/

        There are 186 Rabatin listed in the online US phone directory:

        http://www.switchboard.com/

        There are 23 Rabatin/Rabatinova listed for Kosice in the Slovak online
        phone directory.

        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

        Have you tried to get your family's Argentinean immigration records or
        citizenship records? If your family belonged to a church in Argentina the
        church might have records telling what town they were from. If you know
        the town it becomes much easier.

        John M.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • randm1979
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22
          Sergio,

          Replying to this 2003 post instead of your latest (22 Apr 2015); it included the names of Jura Rabatin's parents Jan Rabatin and Elizabeth Varoly.

          A few years ago LDS put a searchable (but only partial) index of Slovak church baptisms online. Search results are (not always) linked to images of baptism records.
          Here's a link to start searches of this index  (you can also browse through church and census records from this page):

          https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927146

          Here's result for searching tor 1870-1900 Slovak baptisms with parents Jan Rabatin and Elizabeth:

          https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bfather_givenname%3AJan~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Arabatin~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Aelizabeth~%20%2Brecord_country%3ASlovakia

          Shows 7 baptisms-births to Jura's parents between 1877 and 1891.  Checked 2 associated Lutina GC church records; they show births in Henig HU, Hanigovce SK today. http://www.cisarik.com -- Hanigovce page.

          These results allow more effective searching for records of Jura's siblings and their descendents in either New Jersey or Hanigovce.

          The Lutina records microfilmed by LDS cut off in 1895, so you'll need to get Jura's and maybe other siblings' records another way.

          Mel