Know something about me

  • Sergio Fabián RABATIN
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 10:41 AM
      If anone could help me:

      I'm looking for my family in USA and in Slovakia too.
      My name is Sergio Fabián Rabatin and I live in Argentina (South America). My grandfather Jura Rabatin came here trying to arrive in USA where he had got family. In Word War I he was in the Army of Austria and after that came to America (that was that he thaught). Here he made a family whit a polish immigrant and he took contact with our family in USA and Czechoslovakia.

      At the moment I've got the following problems to find them:
      My grandfa was born in June 1st 1899 in a place near Kosice and die in July 31 1959, six years and a half before I was born (January 27 1966)
      My father and my oncle died in 2001 and 2002 and they never know where their own father was born. They never wanted to speek the language and they never learnt english to write to the same people that grandfa write in slovak.

      When I took conscience my father and their brothers didn't have got any more the addresses and other information. And when the years came they went on loose some photographs, letters, books, etc.

      At the moment I've got very feew informations:
      My grandfather was Jura Rabatin, translated in spanish his name was Jorge Rabatin (That means George Rabatin)
      Born in June 1st 1899 in a place that my father call Kosice province.
      His father was Jan Rabatin and his mother Elizabeth Varolic.
      He had got older brothers and sisters in USA. Some of them were religious (catholics).
      My cousin has got a few photographs but I don't know who are the peoples in them and nobody in here knows that. The people that knew that are all dead.

      I know this is not a lot of information but...

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29 5:14 PM
        At 01:41 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >If anone could help me:
        >At the moment I've got very feew informations:
        >My grandfather was Jura Rabatin, translated in spanish his name was Jorge
        >Rabatin (That means George Rabatin)
        >Born in June 1st 1899 in a place that my father call Kosice province.
        >His father was Jan Rabatin and his mother Elizabeth Varolic.
        >He had got older brothers and sisters in USA. Some of them were religious
        >(catholics).
        >My cousin has got a few photographs but I don't know who are the peoples
        >in them and nobody in here knows that. The people that knew that are all dead.
        >
        >I know this is not a lot of information but...

        Sergio,

        There are 85 Rabatin listed in the Ellis Island Database. These are the
        people that arrived in New York from 1892 to 1924. Most are from
        Hungary. They come from many towns.

        http://www.ellisisland.org/

        There are 186 Rabatin listed in the online US phone directory:

        http://www.switchboard.com/

        There are 23 Rabatin/Rabatinova listed for Kosice in the Slovak online
        phone directory.

        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

        Have you tried to get your family's Argentinean immigration records or
        citizenship records? If your family belonged to a church in Argentina the
        church might have records telling what town they were from. If you know
        the town it becomes much easier.

        John M.
      • Sergio Fabián RABATIN
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 1:30 PM
          John:
          Today I'll meet my mother. Maybe she knows something about records of baptisms etc.
          I'll send you an other mail then.

          Sergio Rabatin

          "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
          At 01:41 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >If anone could help me:
          >At the moment I've got very feew informations:
          >My grandfather was Jura Rabatin, translated in spanish his name was Jorge
          >Rabatin (That means George Rabatin)
          >Born in June 1st 1899 in a place that my father call Kosice province.
          >His father was Jan Rabatin and his mother Elizabeth Varolic.
          >He had got older brothers and sisters in USA. Some of them were religious
          >(catholics).
          >My cousin has got a few photographs but I don't know who are the peoples
          >in them and nobody in here knows that. The people that knew that are all dead.
          >
          >I know this is not a lot of information but...

          Sergio,

          There are 85 Rabatin listed in the Ellis Island Database. These are the
          people that arrived in New York from 1892 to 1924. Most are from
          Hungary. They come from many towns.

          http://www.ellisisland.org/

          There are 186 Rabatin listed in the online US phone directory:

          http://www.switchboard.com/

          There are 23 Rabatin/Rabatinova listed for Kosice in the Slovak online
          phone directory.

          http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

          Have you tried to get your family's Argentinean immigration records or
          citizenship records? If your family belonged to a church in Argentina the
          church might have records telling what town they were from. If you know
          the town it becomes much easier.

          John M.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • randm1979
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22, 2015
            Sergio,

            Replying to this 2003 post instead of your latest (22 Apr 2015); it included the names of Jura Rabatin's parents Jan Rabatin and Elizabeth Varoly.

            A few years ago LDS put a searchable (but only partial) index of Slovak church baptisms online. Search results are (not always) linked to images of baptism records.
            Here's a link to start searches of this index  (you can also browse through church and census records from this page):

            https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1927146

            Here's result for searching tor 1870-1900 Slovak baptisms with parents Jan Rabatin and Elizabeth:

            https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bfather_givenname%3AJan~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Arabatin~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Aelizabeth~%20%2Brecord_country%3ASlovakia

            Shows 7 baptisms-births to Jura's parents between 1877 and 1891.  Checked 2 associated Lutina GC church records; they show births in Henig HU, Hanigovce SK today. http://www.cisarik.com -- Hanigovce page.

            These results allow more effective searching for records of Jura's siblings and their descendents in either New Jersey or Hanigovce.

            The Lutina records microfilmed by LDS cut off in 1895, so you'll need to get Jura's and maybe other siblings' records another way.

            Mel