Re: [S-R] Smilno, Hungary

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2003
      At 06:07 PM 5/24/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >I have been looking for the town where my ggreat grandfather, James Malek,
      >lived. I believe it is Smilno, Saros County, Hungary. I need some help in
      >locating this town in Slovakia. I downloaded the 1910 map of Saros, but was
      >unable to find it.

      Smilno is about 2 miles west of my father's village which was Niklova but
      is now known as Mikulasova

      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?addtohistory=&country=SK&city=smilno&submit.x=19&submit.y=9

      > Also, my ggrandmother, Mary Bresnay, came from a town in Saros
      >called Kurina.

      This may be the town of Kurima. I could find no listing for Kurina for
      towns in Slovakia. Kurima and Kurimka are towns southeast of
      Bardejov. Kurima is about 20 miles south of Smilno. Kurimka is about 5 or
      6 miles southeast of Smilno.

      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?addtohistory=&country=SK&city=kurima&historyid=&submit.x=51&submit.y=11

      John M.
    • Tibor Marcinek
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
        If interested to see Smilno - its location, life, neighborhood, ...,
        check this out:

        http://www.geocities.com/smilno2002/

        Tibor, a Smilno descendent

        ----------
        From: sjashburn@a...
        Date: Sat May 24, 2003 10:07 pm
        Subject: Smilno, Hungary

        I have been looking for the town where my ggreat grandfather, James
        Malek,
        lived. I believe it is Smilno, Saros County, Hungary. I need some help
        in
        locating this town in Slovakia. I downloaded the 1910 map of Saros, but
        was
        unable to find it. Also, my ggrandmother, Mary Bresnay, came from a town
        in
        Saros
        called Kurina. The 1869 Hungarian census shows a Breznai living in
        Kurina
        and I think it may be her family. Am unable to find that town either.
        Would
        appreciate any help. Thanks.
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2003
          At 06:15 PM 6/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >If interested to see Smilno - its location, life, neighborhood, ...,
          >check this out:
          >
          >http://www.geocities.com/smilno2002/
          >
          >Tibor, a Smilno descendent

          Great site. I wish there was one like that for my father's village of
          Mikulas^ova and grandfather's Vysna Polianka. As you know both are just
          northeast of Smilno. It brought back a lot of memories of my visit to the
          area in 1999. Did you stitch your panoramic shots? Very good
          photography, Your Author's page sites are also well done.

          John M.