Re: [S-R] Austria-Hungary/Galicia

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2003
      Aylssa,
      As early as 1050 AD the territory of Galicia-Volhynia existed as part of
      the Rus' principality. Eventually Galicia became a territory north of the
      Carpathian mountains in present day Poland. Saros was never a part of
      Galicia. In 900 AD what is Saros came under the control of Magyars,
      eventually becoming part of Hungary. It is they who created the county of
      Saros. At http://lazarus.elte.hu/huri/maps/1910/saros.jpg you can view a
      Hungarian map of Saros. Above it is the word GACSORSZAG, which is Hungarian
      for Galicia.
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2003
        Hi Michael,
        Thanks for the information. I have looked at the 1910 maps before and had no
        problem with them. The map I am looking at right now is at
        www.feefhs.org/maps . It has occurred to me that what I was taking for
        Presov is probably not. My apologies for the ignorance!
        Alyssa

        > As early as 1050 AD the territory of Galicia-Volhynia existed as part
        of
        > the Rus' principality. Eventually Galicia became a territory north of the
        > Carpathian mountains in present day Poland. Saros was never a part of
        > Galicia. In 900 AD what is Saros came under the control of Magyars,
        > eventually becoming part of Hungary. It is they who created the county of
        > Saros. At http://lazarus.elte.hu/huri/maps/1910/saros.jpg you can view a
        > Hungarian map of Saros. Above it is the word GACSORSZAG, which is
        Hungarian
        > for Galicia.
        > Michael Mojher

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2003
          Alyssa,
          The Austria-Hungary map of 1882 does show that Galicia was a province of
          the Empire. That area is now in Poland. You have seen the change on the 1910
          map.
          Thanks for linking me with the 1882 map.
          Michael Mojher
          > Thanks for the information. I have looked at the 1910 maps before and had
          no
          > problem with them. The map I am looking at right now is at
          > www.feefhs.org/maps . It has occurred to me that what I was taking for
          > Presov is probably not. My apologies for the ignorance!
          > Alyssa

        • Alyssa Eppich
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2003
            Michael,
            Thank you for helping me clear that up! Glad I could introduce you to
            something new-