Austria-Hungary/Galicia

  • eppicha
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2003
      Was Saros in NE Slovakia once part of Galicia? I am confused when I
      look at old maps; I was not aware of that much border change in NE
      Slovakia in the 19th century. I would value the list's opinion!
      Alyssa
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "eppicha" <eppicha@a...> wrote:
        > Was Saros in NE Slovakia once part of Galicia? I am confused when I
        > look at old maps; I was not aware of that much border change in NE
        > Slovakia in the 19th century. I would value the list's opinion!
        > Alyssa

        In so far as The Kingdom of Galicia-Lodomeria recalled the title in
        the Hungarian crown , whose origins went back to the claim of
        Hungary's kings to the medieval Rus' principalities of Galicia and
        Volhynia(Lodomeria), is correct.
        But, the NE Slovakia-Galicia-Poland connection was more extensive than
        that.

        Austria's presence in Galicia began in 1769, when Hapsburg troops
        occupied the 16 Polish-held towns and villages in the Spis^ region on
        the southern slopes of the Carpathians.
        As a result of the partition of Poland by Russsia, Prusssia and
        Austria in 1772, Austria was awarded 31,600 sqaure miles with 2.6
        million inhabitants in Rus' (Galicia) and parts of Volhynia.
        The new Austrian acquisition was named The Kingdom of
        Galicia-Lodomeria, recalling the title in the Hungarian crown , whose
        origins went back to 12th century claim of Hungary's kings to
        medieval Rus' principalities of Galicia and Volhynia (Lodomeria).

        From the late 1700s until the end of WW I, Poland did not exist as a
        country. It was divided among the Russian, German (Prussian), and
        Austrian Empires. These divisions were known as Partitions.
        When Poland was restored as a country after WWI, only certain portions
        of these partitioned areas were used to construct the present day
        Poland.
        The other portion of these areas were retained by the respective
        ruling government. Keep this in mind when you see
        Russian-Poland,German-Poland, and Austrian-Poland on records.

        Austrian-Poland

        By the First Partition of Poland (1792), Austria had obtained Galicia
        (consisting of Red Russia, the city of Lemberg [Lwów], a part of
        western Podolia, and southern Little Poland). Austria did not take
        any Polish land in the Second Partition. During the Third Partition
        1795) of Poland, Austria took the remainder of Little Poland and
        Kraków.

        The southern Polish territories around Kraków and Lwów were
        incorporated into the Austrian Empire and renamed "Galicia".

        Galicia was formerly a Austrian Crownland and part of Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy(1867-1918). Sometimes referred to as Austrian Poland.
        Other names for the area were Galicja (Polish), Galizien (German),
        Halychyna (Ukrainian) and Rus Halicka (Polish).

        In 1918, Galicia was annexed to Poland as "Malopolska" (Little
        Poland).
        After the 1939 partition of Poland by Germany and Russia, East Galicia
        became part of Ukraine while West Galicia remained in Poland.
        Its former territories are now shared between southern Poland and
        western Ukraine.
        Austrian-Poland

        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
        owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
        Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
        intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

        Among the earliest German colonies were those begun in the late
        12th c in Transylvania and in the mountainous area of Spis^/Zips/
        Szepes county in northern Hungary near the towns of Levoc^a (Sv)/
        Leutschau (G) and Kez^marok (Sk)/Késmárk (H)/Käsmarkt(G)
        The Spis^ enclave was expanded through special privileges granted in
        1224 and 1271.
        It was at this time that the "Saxons" (actually not from Saxony but
        from the Rhineland) came in large numbers.

        The German colonists brought legal models that formed the basis of
        their special privileged status. Called 'German City Law' these meant
        that they could within their "new cities" direct their economic
        activity and
        govern themseleves through an elected city council.
        South German Law (based on models of Nürnberg or Vienna) was adopted
        for Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G), Kos^ice (Sk) Kassa (H)
        Kaschau(G),
        Kez^marok (Sk) Késmárk (H) Käsmarkt (G), and Pres^ov (Sk) Epérjes (H)
        Preschau (G)

        It was during the 13th c that organized efforts were undertaken to
        settle Carpathian Rus' with East Slavic farmers and shepherds from
        neighboring Galicija (Poland)
        Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
        Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
        including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold
        to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

        http://home.swipnet.se/roland/galicia.html
        http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/galicia.html
        http://www.ics.uci.edu/~dan/genealogy/Miller/frm/fgalicia.htm.