Re: Ceclich - looking for ancestors.

  • lorrainew01
    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lorrainew01"
      <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
      > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
      Liverpool
      > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
      > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
      > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
      the
      > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
      > search further in.
      > Thank you
      > Lorraine
    • lorrainew01
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2003
        <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
        > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
        Liverpool
        > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
        > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
        > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
        the
        > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
        > search further in.
        > Thank you
        > Lorraine
      • lorrainew01
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2003
          <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
          > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
          Liverpool
          > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
          > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
          > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
          the
          > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
          > search further in.
          > Thank you
          > Lorraine
        • lorrainew01
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2003
            Sorry about posting my original message again - I did that by
            accident! I can understand it once but I don't know how it got there
            3 times - sorry!! I was actually trying to thank everyone who replied
            to my original plea and update information, but pressed a wrong button
            (but not 3 times I'm sure)!
            So - thank you to everyone who replied to my original message - I am
            still following up ideas suggested there.
            There were some inaccuracies in my original posting that I would like
            to correct and see if they throw up any new information.
            In fact it was NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH (born 1836/7), a mariner, who
            sailed from Trieste to Liverpool, England in the 1850s (not as
            previously stated). Nicholas and Zannetta, who were recorded in the
            1901 England Census, must have been his sons. In census returns
            Nicholas George Ceclich gave his fathers name as ANTONIO CECLICH, a
            shopkeeper and his birth country as Austria.
            NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH married in a newly-opened Greek Orthodox
            church in Liverpool in 1865 and named his sons NICHOLAS and ZANETTO
            CONSTANTICHI. I previously said that his name was Zannetta as this
            was how it was recorded in the 1901 English census.
            In 1912 a young 18-year old man immigrated to Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
            and subsequently became a naturalised American. When completing the
            1920 US census he stated that his parents' native tongue was
            Croatian, his name was GEORGE CECLICH. It is rare to find anyone
            with the exact same spelling. The conclusions that have been drawn
            from this are that the Ceclichs were originally from Croatia, then
            part of the Austrian Empire, and that the name is spelt consistently
            with that used when they lived in their native land, as immigrants to
            both the UK and US have the exact same spelling.
            Can anyone throw any light on the combination of forenames -
            NICHOLAS, GEORGE, ZANETTO, ANTONIO and the exact spelling of CECLICH
            along with the Austrian/Croatian/maybe Greek or Italian clues?
            Also, does anyone know of any census or church records that we could
            search to find out who the original Ceclichs were?
            Thank you
            Lorraine