Re: Church Latin + Status words

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999
      I don't think Lutherans have Last Rites. But keep trying, listers -- and
      tomorrow I will go back and find some exact text to provide context. I
      wonder meanwhile if the word incolis has anything to do with the word
      colones, that means peasant.

      And in a more general way I wonder this, with apologies because I have not
      researched the topic myself properly yet. If all the serfs in Hungary were
      not freed until the 1840's, should we not assume that many of the records
      pertain to people who were not peasants -- a status providing freedom of
      movement and the right to certain properties held under the family name --
      but still serfs, bound to an estate and sellable with the acreage. So what
      Latin words or phrases express the condition of serfdom as opposed to that
      of peasantry?

      I am assuming that among the population I am studying, some individual
      families were still in a condition of serfdom and others had become true
      peasants. Any thoughts on this topic?

      Andrea