[S-R] Red Hair

  • achema
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2003
      My pear-picking girlfriend with the last name Hruska has red
      hair. Is this a common trait amongst slovaks? I really
      don't know. I myself have black hair, is this more common?
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2003
        At 01:15 PM 19/05/2003 -0400, you wrote:

        >My pear-picking girlfriend with the last name Hruska has red
        >hair. Is this a common trait amongst slovaks? I really
        >don't know. I myself have black hair, is this more common?
        Don't know about Slovaks but red hair is a Celtic gene and it is I believe
        called a recessive gene so both parents must have it to have a red haired
        child. The celts originally came from where Russia is now and at one stage
        of history were a dominant civilisation in Europe and even went to Ireland
        and Scotland . My brother has a red haired daughter so our family has the
        gene maybe from Slovakia.

        Nick
      • Mary Anne L. Waltz
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2003
          My grandfather, Anton Simasek, from Stara Bystrica area, had red hair
          and a "ruddy" complexion. He said he always felt out of place in his
          family because all the other men were "tall and dark."

          Mary Anne Waltz
          (researching Simasek/Sofranko)

          SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:15:46 -0400
          > From: "achema" <achema@...>
          > Subject: Red Hair
          >
          > My pear-picking girlfriend with the last name Hruska has red
          > hair. Is this a common trait amongst slovaks? I really
          > don't know. I myself have black hair, is this more common?

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2003
            Who's got the red hair in the village? The milk man? We have no milk man.
            The mail man? :-)
            Vladimir

            > My grandfather, Anton Simasek, from Stara Bystrica area, had red hair
            > and a "ruddy" complexion. He said he always felt out of place in his
            > family because all the other men were "tall and dark."
            >
            > Mary Anne Waltz
            > (researching Simasek/Sofranko)
            >
            > SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > > Message: 1
            > > Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:15:46 -0400
            > > From: "achema" <achema@...>
            > > Subject: Red Hair
            > >
            > > My pear-picking girlfriend with the last name Hruska has red
            > > hair. Is this a common trait amongst slovaks? I really
            > > don't know. I myself have black hair, is this more common?

          • Peter Pikna
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2003
              Hello Mary,
              I go on Sunday to Stara Bystrica. If you need some research, let me know
              today. I send you a snap of the church in Stara Bystrica.

              Peter

              My grandfather, Anton Simasek, from Stara Bystrica area, had red hair
              and a "ruddy" complexion. He said he always felt out of place in his
              family because all the other men were "tall and dark."

              Mary Anne Waltz
              (researching Simasek/Sofranko)

              SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Message: 1
              > Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 13:15:46 -0400
              > From: "achema" <achema@...>
              > Subject: Red Hair
              >
              > My pear-picking girlfriend with the last name Hruska has red
              > hair. Is this a common trait amongst slovaks? I really
              > don't know. I myself have black hair, is this more common?

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor