Church Latin

  • aantoska@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 6, 1999
      Ahoj Andrea,

      Could your "poonis" as in "incolis poonis" be an abbreviation of

      "impoenitens" - impenitent; viewed as a public sinner, or refusal of last rites? Just a thought.
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 6, 1999
        Thanks very much, Andy. I can see that incolis meaning resident fits very
        well. The following word is probably an abbreviation for something or
        other. Maybe, it means "resident of this parish" or neighborhood.

        But at least you have convinced me that I am reading the letters reasonably
        well. The fragment "iur" someone suggested is short for "iure" meaning
        rightfully or lawfully. That makes sense in the context where it occurs.

        Any guesses on the word "condam"?

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 7, 1999
          >Any guesses on the word "condam"?
          >
          >Andrea

          Could it be a misspelling of "quondam", "once, formerly"? It would make
          sense if the author was used to hearing the word but not seeing it, and
          spelled it as it sounded---except most people knew Latin by seeing it (not
          orally/aurally, that is).

          Julie Michutka, guessetrix
          jmm@...
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 7, 1999
            I think that in the case of the lower Lutheran clergy, they would write a
            Latin word the way they remembered it from the seminary. But because their
            liturgy used the vernacular, they were not steeped in Latin as were the
            Roman Catholic clergy.

            So yes, I think that one might expect a minister to scribble down a Latin
            word the way he remembered it sounding, especially one that he did not use
            often. So, what is a quondam? :-)

            Andrea, with ignorance sticking out like bristles on a porcupine

          • JArcher360@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 8, 1999
              In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
              surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
              telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
              really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
              why that practice was in use? Caroline
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 8, 1999
                Have you considered hypnosis? :-) I remember asking my great-aunt what
                happened to my great-grandmother's two husbands, and that she promptly told
                me, but I completely forgot what she said. She died shortly thereafter.

                You are getting very sleeeeeeeepy........

                > In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
                > surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
                > telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would
                ever
                > really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
                > why that practice was in use? Caroline

              • J. Michutka
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
                  At 09:37 PM 12/8/99 EST, you wrote:
                  >From: JArcher360@...
                  >
                  >In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
                  >surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
                  >telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
                  >really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
                  >why that practice was in use? Caroline

                  From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
                  husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
                  farm. A variation on this seems to have happened in my own ancestry: male
                  Pavlik married female Fiuri; from various records (mostly baptismal records
                  for a couple of generations), it looks like this couple took on the Fiuri
                  family farm/business (address was given in the records). And the family
                  last name became Fiuri Pavlik, sometimes Pavlik Fiuri, for a couple of
                  generations. There were TONS of Pavliks in this small town, and at least
                  two other branches did a double last name; I didn't track their addresses
                  to see if it was another instance of property going to the son-in-law, or
                  just a way of keeping all those Pavlik families straight.

                  I think there was an instance in the descendents of a Jewish rabbi where he
                  had no sons, one of his sons-in-law followed in father-in-law's footsteps,
                  and took his father-in-law's family name as well.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • RAHannig00@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
                    << From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
                    husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
                    farm. >>
                    Just to add my two cents, this is probably correct; I know this was also a
                    custom in Italy and perhaps it was widespread. I also know in Italy
                    sometimes a wife's maiden name was added before or after the man's just
                    because the man's surname was so common, it was a way to distiguish who his
                    descendents were. I know that my Slovak grandmother-in-law's surname was
                    Sebej Koval, and the family lore is that Sebej was added because Koval was so
                    common - perhaps a Koval married a Sebej somewhere along the line.
                    Robin Hannig
                  • Ron Matviyak
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
                      Yes, I have heard the same. The woman's family name would be adapted if
                      the woman's family was much better off than the mans family; if the
                      woman's family name was in danger of dying off; or as you say, if the
                      name was too common they might modify the name adapting the womans name
                      in fromt or bakc. In part of my family I belong to the Pavel Valyo's to
                      seaparate us from the other Valyo's. Ironically there is only one old
                      nasty man in the village with that name today!

                      Ron

                      J. Michutka wrote:

                      > From: "J. Michutka" <jmm@...>
                      >
                      > At 09:37 PM 12/8/99 EST, you wrote:
                      > >From: JArcher360@...
                      > >
                      > >In some of these communications, there was a mention of a man's adopting a
                      > >surname of a woman, her maiden name, etc. I can remember some old man
                      > >telling me why that was so, but, I was young, and didn't think I would ever
                      > >really use that information. Perhaps someone else paid attention and knows
                      > >why that practice was in use? Caroline
                      >
                      > >From a book on Czechoslovak genealogy (I think), there was a mention of the
                      > husband taking the wife's family name if he(they) got the wife's family
                      > farm. A variation on this seems to have happened in my own ancestry: male
                      > Pavlik married female Fiuri; from various records (mostly baptismal records
                      > for a couple of generations), it looks like this couple took on the Fiuri
                      > family farm/business (address was given in the records). And the family
                      > last name became Fiuri Pavlik, sometimes Pavlik Fiuri, for a couple of
                      > generations. There were TONS of Pavliks in this small town, and at least
                      > two other branches did a double last name; I didn't track their addresses
                      > to see if it was another instance of property going to the son-in-law, or
                      > just a way of keeping all those Pavlik families straight.
                      >
                      > I think there was an instance in the descendents of a Jewish rabbi where he
                      > had no sons, one of his sons-in-law followed in father-in-law's footsteps,
                      > and took his father-in-law's family name as well.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps.
                      >
                      > Julie Michutka
                      > jmm@...

                    • Andrea Vangor
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 9, 1999
                        It looks like I have two sisters marrying different men, of course, and in
                        both families the surname changed to the wife's maiden name. When I finish
                        researching this, I may understand more -- but there is a hint that the
                        sisters' brother, whose name was written John (rightly) Doe, might have been
                        adopted or otherwise not qualified for full inheritance of the parent's
                        property.

                        Andrea