Re: [S-R] Slavic Not Slavish

  • RMH
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2003
      My mother always used "Slavish" as an ethnic designation rather than Slovak.
      Her parents were from Saris and Spis.

      Regina Haring

      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2003
        Dear Regina,
        I know, that this term has been used, but is is not an official one.
        Vladimir

        > My mother always used "Slavish" as an ethnic designation rather than
        Slovak.
        > Her parents were from Saris and Spis.
        >
        > Regina Haring

      • Vladimir Bohinc
        Message 3 of 3 , May 19, 2003
          Dear Marty,
          In no way, Slavish should mean Slovak. This word Slavish was coined by
          people, who did not know the correct english word for people of Slavic or
          Slovak roots.Especially then, when there was no Slovakia yet and Slovaks
          were not so much distinguished by the name Slovak.
          It obviously is confined only to some parts of US. You will never hear this
          word here.Poles and Slovaks are both Slavic.
          Vladimir