Re: [S-R] Given name VASIL

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2003
      Anyone named Vasil from old Zemplen County would be a Rusyn. Rusyns are
      Slavs, but are not Slovaks. Some children of Rusyn immigrants in the USA
      called themselves "Slavish" although this term really doesn't mean anything.

      www.carpatho-rusyn.org
      www.carpathorusynsociety.org

      Where did your husband's immigrant ancestors settle in the USA?

        > I received the names of my husband's aunts and uncles from the Russian
        Orthodox church they belonged to. There was a given name of Vasil of one of
        the infants that died at five months in 1923. He was born in the United
        States. Would anyone know what his name would be in English. The parents are
        Slavish and immigrated from Zemplen county, Hungary. This part of Zemplen
        county is now in Slovakia.

        > Thanks for your help and input.
        >
        > Eleanor

      • Eleanor Chobirko
        Message 3 of 4 , May 18, 2003
          Richard,

          To add to my confusion now, the last son born (of 11 children) was also named Vasil (Paul) on the list I got from the church. But is known as William.

          My husbands grandparents settled in the town of Duquesne, Pa.
          Duquesne is about 20 miles SW of Pittsburgh, Pa. It was a booming
          steel mill town along with McKeesport, Clairton, Braddock and Pittsburgh just to name a few along the river.
          The grandparents names were spelled "Csobirka and Czobirka" on the ship manifest I had a hard time finding them on Ellis Island until I read an email on this list explaining about the cs and cz for the ch sound. In the states they spelled their name "Chobirka". My husband's father spelled my husband's name on the birth certificate "Chobirko"

          On the ship manifest they said they were of the Slovak race and Hungarian nationality. On the 1930 census they said they were from Czechoslovakia.

          Eleanor

          "Richard D. Custer" <rcuster@...> wrote:
          Anyone named Vasil from old Zemplen County would be a Rusyn. Rusyns are
          Slavs, but are not Slovaks. Some children of Rusyn immigrants in the USA
          called themselves "Slavish" although this term really doesn't mean anything.

          www.carpatho-rusyn.org
          www.carpathorusynsociety.org

          Where did your husband's immigrant ancestors settle in the USA?

          > The english name for Vasil would be Basil.
          > His parents were Slavic, not Slavish.
          > Regards,
          > Vladimir

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Richard D. Custer
          Message 4 of 4 , May 18, 2003
            Hello Eleanor,

            I assume they were members of St. Nicholas R.O. Church in Duquesne. In my
            data of research I did with that church's records, I see a John Chobirka and
            Anna Yuhas who had children baptized there in 1918, 1920, 1923, and 1924.
            John Chobirka was born in Boks~a (Boksha), Zemplyn County. Today this
            village is in northeast Slovakia, near the towns of Stropkov and Svidnik.
            http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/villages.htm

            Stropkov: http://www.jewishgen.org/Yizkor/stropkov1/stropkov.html#index
            http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Stropkov/Villages.htm