Re: [S-R] Village of Origin

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17 12:32 PM
      Try the census records, that is how I found my GGPs village name. Peggy.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 18 7:44 AM
        Dear Alyssa,
        Do you have access to LDS films? If yes, then you don't have to go nowhere.
        You can do the research at home. Practically.
        If the only info about the possible origin is Presov , being a town and
        Saros being the County, then there are two places you should look for the
        clues;
        - Slovak telephone book ;Arendac; You will find them in Presov, Sarisske
        Luky and Lubotice.
        Orendac; one in Presov
        - Ellis island; Arendacs, Orendacs
        It is higlhy probable, that more than one person with this name left the
        village for US.
        in this way you will get the names of places, where you have to look for the
        birth of Maria in LDS films.
        What was the name of her husband?
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 8 , May 19 1:48 PM
          Hi Vladimir,
          Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind message, but my computer
          crashed over the weekend; I am now back in business, though.
          One of my goals this summer once school ends(I work in our local school) is
          to get over to a nearby LDS center, so I am hoping to locate information on
          Presov there. I have checked the phone book in the past.

          My great grandmother came over through Castle Island, I'm assuming, since
          her family emigrated from Slovakia in 1886. I have begun checking what
          ship's manifests I can, but it's slow work.

          Her husband was John Maczko, b. 12.24.1878 in Saros-I'm assuming county
          here, too. You and I have corresponded about them in the past; as you can
          see, I have some better information on them now, due to there oldest child's
          death certificate and the 1910,1920 and 1930 US censuses, none of which
          revealed a village!

          Again, Vladimir, I am grateful for your help-I'll keep you posted as I am
          someday hoping to utilise your talents in Slovakia!

        • William F Brna
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19 4:02 PM
            It's Castle Garden, not Castle Island. Be that as it may, the arrivals
            at the Port of New York are on Soundex tapes and available through your
            local Family History Center. This is much quicker than checking
            individual ship manifests.

            Bill Brna

            Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!