Re: [S-R] Village of Origin

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2003
      Try the census records, that is how I found my GGPs village name. Peggy.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2003
        Dear Vladimir,
        You are absolutely right-that is a possibility, however I still think that
        the Arendacs/Orendas side of the family is from outside Presov-either north
        of it, close to Saros or even outside. I think there is a town outside
        Presov-Secovska Polianka?-in which there are many Arendacs. That's why I
        think it's important to nail down what information I can over here before
        looking. Mary Orendas/Arendacs was born 3.13.1880/83(the date was smeared);
        she emigrated from Eperjes in 1886, so she was only 3-6 years old when she
        came here. That seems to make it harder to find her because I have
        absolutely no information on her parents or siblings-not even names just
        yet! We have very little information about her I do have pictures of her and
        what information I do have came from the oldest child's death certificate.
        You never know where information will turn up! Do you have any ideas for me
        or can you point me in a direction? Should I skip the process on this side
        of the ocean and look in Presov?

        Thanks in advance!
        Alyssa
        Message 3 of 8 , May 18, 2003
          Dear Alyssa,
          Do you have access to LDS films? If yes, then you don't have to go nowhere.
          You can do the research at home. Practically.
          If the only info about the possible origin is Presov , being a town and
          Saros being the County, then there are two places you should look for the
          clues;
          - Slovak telephone book ;Arendac; You will find them in Presov, Sarisske
          Luky and Lubotice.
          Orendac; one in Presov
          - Ellis island; Arendacs, Orendacs
          It is higlhy probable, that more than one person with this name left the
          village for US.
          in this way you will get the names of places, where you have to look for the
          birth of Maria in LDS films.
          What was the name of her husband?

        • Alyssa Eppich
          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2003
            Hi Vladimir,
            Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind message, but my computer
            crashed over the weekend; I am now back in business, though.
            One of my goals this summer once school ends(I work in our local school) is
            to get over to a nearby LDS center, so I am hoping to locate information on
            Presov there. I have checked the phone book in the past.

            My great grandmother came over through Castle Island, I'm assuming, since
            her family emigrated from Slovakia in 1886. I have begun checking what
            ship's manifests I can, but it's slow work.

            Her husband was John Maczko, b. 12.24.1878 in Saros-I'm assuming county
            here, too. You and I have corresponded about them in the past; as you can
            see, I have some better information on them now, due to there oldest child's
            death certificate and the 1910,1920 and 1930 US censuses, none of which
            revealed a village!

            Again, Vladimir, I am grateful for your help-I'll keep you posted as I am
            someday hoping to utilise your talents in Slovakia!

          • William F Brna
            Message 5 of 8 , May 19, 2003
              It's Castle Garden, not Castle Island. Be that as it may, the arrivals
              at the Port of New York are on Soundex tapes and available through your
              local Family History Center. This is much quicker than checking
              individual ship manifests.

              Bill Brna

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!