Re: [S-R] Village of Origin

  • Thomas Reimer
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2003
      Was he a member of an ethnic parish? Often their burial records provide more information than official documents.

      Was he a member of an ethnic club? A fraternal society? What about his marriage certificate?
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2003
        Hi Gary,
        I am in the same boat at the moment; documents for my great grand parents
        state that they were born in Saros and Eperjies/Presov-both counties or
        districts, but not villages. I, too, am attempting to find naturalisation
        records for them, so what you tell me is not very encouraging.
        On your part, was your ggf married in this country? Sometimes the marriage
        record at the church may state the original village. Death certificates for
        my ggp's child who died young are what confirmed birthdate and those
        districts; at least that narrows it down when it comes to searching in
        present day Slovakia. Have you been to the English language version of the
        Slovak phone book? It's at:
        www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

        This has been a place to look for people of the same name in Slovakia.
        At this point, I am waiting to get down to Passaic New Jersey to search the
        archives of the church at which my ggps were married; I am hoping that the
        villages were recorded on the marriage record.

        Good luck,
        Alyssa

        > I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion to help me determine my
        > g-grandfather's village of origin. I obtained a copy of his
        > naturalization application (circa 1903), and it only lists country of
        > origin---Austria Hungary.
        >
        > He immigrated in March, 1880, but the ship manifest, again, only lists
        > country of origin and not village name.
        >
        > He didn't have a social security card, so that takes care of the last
        > possible document I would think would provide a name.
        >
        > The remaining family members do not know the village name, and a copy of
        > his obit does not provide it.
        >
        > I am at my wits end, and would appreciate any suggestions.
        >
        > -Gary

      • Peggy
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2003
          Try the census records, that is how I found my GGPs village name. Peggy.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2003
            Dear Alyssa,
            Eperjes/Presov is a town in former Saros County.
            Maybe they were not born in a village but in Presov istelf?
            Regards,
            Vladimir Bohinc
            www.konekta.sk

            > I am in the same boat at the moment; documents for my great grand parents
            > state that they were born in Saros and Eperjies/Presov-both counties or
            > districts, but not villages. I, too, am attempting to find naturalisation
            > records for them, so what you tell me is not very encouraging.
            > On your part, was your ggf married in this country? Sometimes the marriage
            > record at the church may state the original village. Death certificates
            for
            > my ggp's child who died young are what confirmed birthdate and those
            > districts; at least that narrows it down when it comes to searching in
            > present day Slovakia. Have you been to the English language version of the
            > Slovak phone book? It's at:
            > www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
            >
            > This has been a place to look for people of the same name in Slovakia.
            > At this point, I am waiting to get down to Passaic New Jersey to search
            the
            > archives of the church at which my ggps were married; I am hoping that the
            > villages were recorded on the marriage record.
            >
            > Good luck,
            > Alyssa

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Alyssa Eppich
            Message 5 of 8 , May 17, 2003
              Dear Vladimir,
              You are absolutely right-that is a possibility, however I still think that
              the Arendacs/Orendas side of the family is from outside Presov-either north
              of it, close to Saros or even outside. I think there is a town outside
              Presov-Secovska Polianka?-in which there are many Arendacs. That's why I
              think it's important to nail down what information I can over here before
              looking. Mary Orendas/Arendacs was born 3.13.1880/83(the date was smeared);
              she emigrated from Eperjes in 1886, so she was only 3-6 years old when she
              came here. That seems to make it harder to find her because I have
              absolutely no information on her parents or siblings-not even names just
              yet! We have very little information about her I do have pictures of her and
              what information I do have came from the oldest child's death certificate.
              You never know where information will turn up! Do you have any ideas for me
              or can you point me in a direction? Should I skip the process on this side
              of the ocean and look in Presov?

              Thanks in advance!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 18, 2003
                Dear Alyssa,
                Do you have access to LDS films? If yes, then you don't have to go nowhere.
                You can do the research at home. Practically.
                If the only info about the possible origin is Presov , being a town and
                Saros being the County, then there are two places you should look for the
                clues;
                - Slovak telephone book ;Arendac; You will find them in Presov, Sarisske
                Luky and Lubotice.
                Orendac; one in Presov
                - Ellis island; Arendacs, Orendacs
                It is higlhy probable, that more than one person with this name left the
                village for US.
                in this way you will get the names of places, where you have to look for the
                birth of Maria in LDS films.
                What was the name of her husband?

                Message 7 of 8 , May 19, 2003
                  Hi Vladimir,
                  Sorry for the delay in replying to your kind message, but my computer
                  crashed over the weekend; I am now back in business, though.
                  One of my goals this summer once school ends(I work in our local school) is
                  to get over to a nearby LDS center, so I am hoping to locate information on
                  Presov there. I have checked the phone book in the past.

                  My great grandmother came over through Castle Island, I'm assuming, since
                  her family emigrated from Slovakia in 1886. I have begun checking what
                  ship's manifests I can, but it's slow work.

                  Her husband was John Maczko, b. 12.24.1878 in Saros-I'm assuming county
                  here, too. You and I have corresponded about them in the past; as you can
                  see, I have some better information on them now, due to there oldest child's
                  death certificate and the 1910,1920 and 1930 US censuses, none of which
                  revealed a village!

                  Again, Vladimir, I am grateful for your help-I'll keep you posted as I am
                  someday hoping to utilise your talents in Slovakia!

                • William F Brna
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 19, 2003
                    It's Castle Garden, not Castle Island. Be that as it may, the arrivals
                    at the Port of New York are on Soundex tapes and available through your
                    local Family History Center. This is much quicker than checking
                    individual ship manifests.

                    Bill Brna

                    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!