Re: [S-R] Ceclich - looking for ancestors.

  • Richard Jansko
    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2003
      Many people from former Yugoslav use -ic in the end of there name, especialy serbian
      e.g. Tanascovic. Maybe you should try seaching Celic
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2003
        Dear Lorraine,
        I think, I have a solution for you. Please, contact me directly at
        konekta@...
        I am pretty sure, these people were from Montenegro.
        Best regards,
        Vladimir
        www.konekta.sk

        > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to Liverpool
        > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
        > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
        > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
        > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
        > search further in.
        > Thank you
        > Lorraine

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2003
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lorrainew01"
          <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
          > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
          Liverpool
          > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
          > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
          > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
          > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
          > search further in.
          > Thank you
          > Lorraine

          Surname Ceclich could be from Austria, Hungary, Croatia, or former
          Jugoslavia.
          Expect it was a Croatian surname.
          Austria and Italy ruled parts of the Dalmacija region of Croatia
          for over 450 yaers.

          Most Croatian surnames end with a surname affix -ic'/-vic', -ovic'
          pron. ovich, meaning 'son of' (clan name)

          The Croatian diacritic letter c' is used when c is the last letter in
          a Croatian surname.
          Hence, Ceclic' (Ceclich)

          c' pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-eap.

          (Slovenian doesn't use this c' character but uses c ^ instead)

          c pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-urch.

          Similar to Polish surname affix -owicz or -owycz.
          Pronounced the same in Polish and means the same thing as 'son of'
          (above).
          This special ending also has the same meaning in Russian.

          How are you ? English

          Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

          Hogy Van ? Hungarian

          Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

          Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

          Nicholas Ceclich was born abt 1879 ?

          http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/help/cda201202a.html+Ceclich&hl=en&ie=UTF
          -8

          Nicholas, Nick (E)
          Nikola, Niko (Cr)
          Nicolo (I)
          Nicolas (L)

          Zannetta is a female given name or an Italian surname.
          No way it was a male bearer.

          Today, Trieste is located in Italy.
          Formerly Trst (Croatian) Trieste (Italian)

          Frank Kurcina
        • lorrainew01
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2003
            <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
            > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
            Liverpool
            > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
            > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
            > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
            the
            > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
            > search further in.
            > Thank you
            > Lorraine
          • lorrainew01
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2003
              <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
              > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
              Liverpool
              > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
              > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
              > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
              the
              > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
              > search further in.
              > Thank you
              > Lorraine
            • lorrainew01
              Message 6 of 9 , May 22, 2003
                <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
                > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
                Liverpool
                > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
                > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
                > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
                the
                > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
                > search further in.
                > Thank you
                > Lorraine
              • lorrainew01
                Message 7 of 9 , May 22, 2003
                  Sorry about posting my original message again - I did that by
                  accident! I can understand it once but I don't know how it got there
                  3 times - sorry!! I was actually trying to thank everyone who replied
                  to my original plea and update information, but pressed a wrong button
                  (but not 3 times I'm sure)!
                  So - thank you to everyone who replied to my original message - I am
                  still following up ideas suggested there.
                  There were some inaccuracies in my original posting that I would like
                  to correct and see if they throw up any new information.
                  In fact it was NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH (born 1836/7), a mariner, who
                  sailed from Trieste to Liverpool, England in the 1850s (not as
                  previously stated). Nicholas and Zannetta, who were recorded in the
                  1901 England Census, must have been his sons. In census returns
                  Nicholas George Ceclich gave his fathers name as ANTONIO CECLICH, a
                  shopkeeper and his birth country as Austria.
                  NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH married in a newly-opened Greek Orthodox
                  church in Liverpool in 1865 and named his sons NICHOLAS and ZANETTO
                  CONSTANTICHI. I previously said that his name was Zannetta as this
                  was how it was recorded in the 1901 English census.
                  In 1912 a young 18-year old man immigrated to Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
                  and subsequently became a naturalised American. When completing the
                  1920 US census he stated that his parents' native tongue was
                  Croatian, his name was GEORGE CECLICH. It is rare to find anyone
                  with the exact same spelling. The conclusions that have been drawn
                  from this are that the Ceclichs were originally from Croatia, then
                  part of the Austrian Empire, and that the name is spelt consistently
                  with that used when they lived in their native land, as immigrants to
                  both the UK and US have the exact same spelling.
                  Can anyone throw any light on the combination of forenames -
                  NICHOLAS, GEORGE, ZANETTO, ANTONIO and the exact spelling of CECLICH
                  along with the Austrian/Croatian/maybe Greek or Italian clues?
                  Also, does anyone know of any census or church records that we could
                  search to find out who the original Ceclichs were?
                  Thank you
                  Lorraine