Ceclich - looking for ancestors.

  • lorrainew01
    Message 1 of 9 , May 14 4:59 AM
      Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to Liverpool
      towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
      searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
      whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
      spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
      search further in.
      Thank you
      Lorraine
    • Sharon Hronsky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14 5:31 PM
        Hello

        My husband said that Yugoslav and croatian's usually have ich at the end of their names.

        Sharon

        researching: GUTTMANN, PARASOVA, DURINDAK

        lorrainew01 <lorraine.williams@...> wrote:
        Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to Liverpool
        towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
        searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
        whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
        spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
        search further in.
        Thank you
        Lorraine

      • Richard Jansko
        Message 3 of 9 , May 15 10:19 PM
          Many people from former Yugoslav use -ic in the end of there name, especialy serbian
          e.g. Tanascovic. Maybe you should try seaching Celic
          My husband said that Yugoslav and croatian's usually have ich at the end of their names.

          Sharon

          researching: GUTTMANN, PARASOVA, DURINDAK

          lorrainew01 <lorraine.williams@...> wrote:
          Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to Liverpool
          towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
          searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
          whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
          spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
          search further in.
          Thank you
          Lorraine

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16 12:31 AM
            Dear Lorraine,
            I think, I have a solution for you. Please, contact me directly at
            konekta@...
            I am pretty sure, these people were from Montenegro.
            Best regards,
            Vladimir
            www.konekta.sk

            > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to Liverpool
            > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
            > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
            > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
            > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
            > search further in.
            > Thank you
            > Lorraine

          • Frank
            Message 5 of 9 , May 16 2:59 PM
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lorrainew01"
              <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
              > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
              Liverpool
              > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
              > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
              > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether the
              > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
              > search further in.
              > Thank you
              > Lorraine

              Surname Ceclich could be from Austria, Hungary, Croatia, or former
              Jugoslavia.
              Expect it was a Croatian surname.
              Austria and Italy ruled parts of the Dalmacija region of Croatia
              for over 450 yaers.

              Most Croatian surnames end with a surname affix -ic'/-vic', -ovic'
              pron. ovich, meaning 'son of' (clan name)

              The Croatian diacritic letter c' is used when c is the last letter in
              a Croatian surname.
              Hence, Ceclic' (Ceclich)

              c' pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-eap.

              (Slovenian doesn't use this c' character but uses c ^ instead)

              c pronounced as " ch " in English word ch-urch.

              Similar to Polish surname affix -owicz or -owycz.
              Pronounced the same in Polish and means the same thing as 'son of'
              (above).
              This special ending also has the same meaning in Russian.

              How are you ? English

              Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

              Hogy Van ? Hungarian

              Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

              Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

              Nicholas Ceclich was born abt 1879 ?

              http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/help/cda201202a.html+Ceclich&hl=en&ie=UTF
              -8

              Nicholas, Nick (E)
              Nikola, Niko (Cr)
              Nicolo (I)
              Nicolas (L)

              Zannetta is a female given name or an Italian surname.
              No way it was a male bearer.

              Today, Trieste is located in Italy.
              Formerly Trst (Croatian) Trieste (Italian)

              Frank Kurcina
            • lorrainew01
              Message 6 of 9 , May 22 12:24 PM
                <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
                > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
                Liverpool
                > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
                > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
                > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
                the
                > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
                > search further in.
                > Thank you
                > Lorraine
              • lorrainew01
                Message 7 of 9 , May 22 12:25 PM
                  <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
                  > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
                  Liverpool
                  > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
                  > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
                  > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
                  the
                  > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
                  > search further in.
                  > Thank you
                  > Lorraine
                • lorrainew01
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 22 12:26 PM
                    <lorraine.williams@n...> wrote:
                    > Nicholas and Zannetta (male) CECLICH sailed from Trieste to
                    Liverpool
                    > towards the end of the 1800s. Despite putting the name into various
                    > searches we cannot find the ethnic origin of the name and wondered
                    > whether this site may be able to offer suggestions as to whether
                    the
                    > spelling may have altered or which country is the most likely to
                    > search further in.
                    > Thank you
                    > Lorraine
                  • lorrainew01
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 22 1:11 PM
                      Sorry about posting my original message again - I did that by
                      accident! I can understand it once but I don't know how it got there
                      3 times - sorry!! I was actually trying to thank everyone who replied
                      to my original plea and update information, but pressed a wrong button
                      (but not 3 times I'm sure)!
                      So - thank you to everyone who replied to my original message - I am
                      still following up ideas suggested there.
                      There were some inaccuracies in my original posting that I would like
                      to correct and see if they throw up any new information.
                      In fact it was NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH (born 1836/7), a mariner, who
                      sailed from Trieste to Liverpool, England in the 1850s (not as
                      previously stated). Nicholas and Zannetta, who were recorded in the
                      1901 England Census, must have been his sons. In census returns
                      Nicholas George Ceclich gave his fathers name as ANTONIO CECLICH, a
                      shopkeeper and his birth country as Austria.
                      NICHOLAS GEORGE CECLICH married in a newly-opened Greek Orthodox
                      church in Liverpool in 1865 and named his sons NICHOLAS and ZANETTO
                      CONSTANTICHI. I previously said that his name was Zannetta as this
                      was how it was recorded in the 1901 English census.
                      In 1912 a young 18-year old man immigrated to Cuyahoga, Ohio, USA
                      and subsequently became a naturalised American. When completing the
                      1920 US census he stated that his parents' native tongue was
                      Croatian, his name was GEORGE CECLICH. It is rare to find anyone
                      with the exact same spelling. The conclusions that have been drawn
                      from this are that the Ceclichs were originally from Croatia, then
                      part of the Austrian Empire, and that the name is spelt consistently
                      with that used when they lived in their native land, as immigrants to
                      both the UK and US have the exact same spelling.
                      Can anyone throw any light on the combination of forenames -
                      NICHOLAS, GEORGE, ZANETTO, ANTONIO and the exact spelling of CECLICH
                      along with the Austrian/Croatian/maybe Greek or Italian clues?
                      Also, does anyone know of any census or church records that we could
                      search to find out who the original Ceclichs were?
                      Thank you
                      Lorraine