Re: [S-R] newbie...BINO/BENO/URBAN ..Lelesz-Zemplen area

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2003
      At 01:29 PM 4/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:
      >Greetings!
      >1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
      >Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
      >remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
      >researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
      >certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name.

      There are six Bino listed for the town of Leles in the online SK phone
      directory:

      Alexander Binó Leles
      Július Binó Leles
      Ladislav Bino Leles
      Ladislav Binó Leles
      MikulᚠBino Leles
      Peter Bino Leles

      A letter to one of them might clear up the nationality issue.

      The Roman Catholic church records LDS microfilm numbers for Leles can be
      found at:

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=741370&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

      I don't think there was a Greek Catholic church in Leles.

      > I believe the other names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky--
      > are Slovak, but I'm not certain of that either. I have found a little
      > bit of helpful info on name meanings from a link someone posted a while
      > ago. This was somewhat
      >helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?

      You might try http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrpi.html . This site
      lists about 3,000 Slovak surnames.

      >2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
      >(those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
      >Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her from
      >when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
      >with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
      >when no one was listening?

      I believe most spoke Slovak, Rusyn, etc. except for the officials or if
      communicating with an official or in school.

      >4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
      >this correct?

      Yes but it can also be Anglicized to Emery.

      John M.