Re: surname spelling changes

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Anne Sprentz" <asprentz@w...>
      wrote:
      > Frank,
      > You seem knowledgeable on the Slovak and Hungarian language. I'm
      curious to
      > know if you can answer this.
      >

      > My great-grandfather was born 1879 in Satoraljaujhely, Hungary.
      > On the Ellis Island ship manifest, he lists his name as Sprencz,
      Mihaly in
      > 1904
      > On the city directories, he was listed as Mike Printz /Princz
      1905/1906
      > His sons birth record lists him as Sprentz (1907)
      > On his sons baptism record his name was spelled Sprencz. (1907)
      > On the 1910 census, his name was spelled Printz
      > Some records his name was spelled Prince and Sprencz, in his own
      > handwriting. ( his dec of intent, and on a church document, both
      written
      > between 1909-1912)
      >
      > I can see the different spellings of Princz, but what I don't
      understand is
      > how Sprencz was interchanged with Princz? Why would that happen?
      > His son kept the name Sprentz, the father kept it Printz.
      >
      > Also, if there is no cz in the Slovak Language, would that mean that
      he
      > could not have been Slovak? The area he was born in was once
      Slovakia, as I
      > understand and had a high concentration of Slovaks.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > A. Sprentz

      Anne,

      After the WW I peace treaty with Hungary (1920), Zemplén megye was
      (county) was split between Hungary and Czechoslovakia around
      Sátoraljaúhely, Hungary.
      Part remained in Hungary and the rest became part of Slovakia
      (Zemplin z^upa)
      Many emigrants changed names after they had settled in the U.S.
      Emigration service didn't make them change their surnames.
      Some did it to sound more American and others for any number of
      reasons.

      By no Slovak letter 'cz' I meant that in ship manifests before WW I,
      Slovak surnames often appeared under their Hungarian spellings.
      Archaic letter combination 'cz' is now the letter 'c'.
      Hungarian doesn't have a diacritic letter c ^ pron. ch.
      It does have the letter 'cs' which is also pron. ch.
      So Slovak surnames on manifests could be in Hungarian version
      while today the Slovak version is found in the Slovakia telephone
      directory.
      In Hungarian and Slovak, the letter c is pron. ts.
      In German the letter z is pron. ts.

      Sprentz and Printz look like German surname spellings.

      Michael, Mike (E) (G)
      Mihály, Miska (H)
      Michal (Sk)

      In 1905, a Mihaly Sprencz, age 34, married, Magyar, emigrated to
      U.S.
      He went to his brother György (H) George (E) Juraj (Sk) Sprencz
      in Newark, NJ.
      His Last Residence is listed as Regmez, but that was Regéc which is
      located just west of Sátoraljaúhely, Hungary.

      In 1909, a Mihaly Sprencz , age 36, married, Magyar, emigrated
      to U.S.
      He went to brother-in-law János Louscsak in Cleveland OH.
      Mihaly had been in U.S. before in 1903/1906 also in Cleveland.
      His Last Residence was listed as Cselij which is Cselej (H)
      C^elovce (Sk) located just west of Trebis^ov, Slovakia and
      not far north of Sátoraljaúhely, Hungary.

      Frank Kurcina

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/