Re: [S-R] Maczko, Orendas/Arendacs

  • Alyssa Eppich
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
      Thanks Ron-we don't know what ship either came over on-they came with
      families, he in 1889, she in 1883. Naturalisation, on the other hand is a
      good possibility. John was naturalised in 1906. Thanks for the reminder!
      Alyssa
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
        There are indices for passenger lists. The National Archives branch in
        New York City has the index for the port of New York. Naturalization
        records are easier if you can find the correct court. I found the
        village of my ancestor mentioned on a burial certificate in the USA.
        Newspaper obituaries are another thing to try. I found the names of
        relatives living in Slovakia listed in one obituary.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
          Again, thank you Ron. I am working on finding the correct court. My ggps
          lived in Passaic< New Jersey; would the court have been the Passaic County
          court? I understand that Naturalisation would have been done on the county
          level. do you know if this is correct? Naturalisation, for him at least,
          occurred in 1905, not 1906. I re-checked the censuses that I have to verify
          that date.

          Alyssa

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
            Often the years indicated in the census records are incorrect, but
            usually close. Usually the county court or the nearest US District
            Court is where people were naturalized.

            Ron

          • Maureen
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
              Alyssa,
              The records should be available through the Regional NARA. You may even be able to order them online, as I did for my grandparents. (From the time of my initial email to the regional NARA to the receipt of the documents was exactly eleven days!) Go to www.nara.gov and check to see which NARA region Passaic is in and contact them.

              Good luck -- and let us know how you make out!

              Maureen

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
                I checked the Ellis Island database and found a John Maczko, a married
                US citizen living at 283 Main Ave., Passaic, who was naturalized in
                Passaic on 30 Mar 1911. He was 47 years old when arriving in 1922,
                making him born c. 1875. His native village is not listed, but you
                might want to look at that naturalization record. Since ages listed are
                often incorrect, this could be your John Maczko on a second trip to the
                USA. On his first trip, you will probably find his name spelled Janos.

                Ron

              • squinch42
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
                  Using the year prior to the eldest child's birth and the 1910 census
                  data ties to the same year, you probably can be sure that was the
                  year they married. I, too, could not get a response from the Passaic
                  church. I knew four variations on their names and the year of
                  marriage and applied to Trenton for a copy of the marriage
                  application. It took nearly four months but I finally got it. Most of
                  the marriages and births were not recorded in Passaic's vital
                  statistics office. Even some of the death records are missing.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ron Milliken <rmilliken@s...>

                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
                    In a message dated 4/28/03 8:42:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    maureen@... writes:

                    > > Again, thank you Ron. I am working on finding the correct court. My ggps
                    > > lived in Passaic< New Jersey;

                    the court was in Newark, new jersey for Passaic.
                    my aunt's records came from Newark and she lived in the clifton passaic area.
                    noreen

                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 28, 2003
                      In a message dated 4/28/03 9:54:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      vpfezziwig@... writes:

                      > I, too, could not get a response from the Passaic
                      > church. I knew four variations

                      Which church did they attend? St. Mary's?

                    • squinch42
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                        No, St Michael the Archangel. I got the same response from the priest
                        as did the person requesting help did - none.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, nhasior@a... wrote:
                        > In a message dated 4/28/03 9:54:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > vpfezziwig@m... writes:
                        >

                        > > I, too, could not get a response from the Passaic
                        > > church. I knew four variations
                        >
                        > Which church did they attend? St. Mary's?

                      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                          Checking the Ellis Island site, there's a Maria Arendacs, who arrived on
                          July 5, 1900 on the SS Barbarossa at 16 years old, from the village of
                          Hajtovka (Hungarian name Hajtoka), which was in extreme NE Saros county in
                          Slovakia, just east of Stara Lubovna. She looks like a very good fit. She
                          arrived with Zuzanna Arendacs and Anna Fabian, all the same age, all going
                          to Passaic.

                          John Maczko might be harder to track. I found a Jan Maczko who arrived Oct
                          28, 1896, from Hungary (no town given), age 17, going to what looks like
                          Mahanoy City. Could be yours, though there are other J Maczkos too in the
                          Ellis Island sight you should look over.

                          Joe Armata

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                            Hi Ron,
                            I've seen this listing and this may or may not be the same John who is my
                            ggf. We do know that he went back to the old country several times over the
                            years, the last time in the late forties-he had a brother or brothers
                            teaching at Charles University in Prague

                            . The death certificate of his eldest child states John's date of birth as
                            12.24.1878, although I know that the dates on anything could be off. . All
                            the censuses seem to indicate his initial arrival in the 1880s-one even says
                            1898, but I do know that his family was here prior to that. I did find a
                            Janos Maczko on the ship Aller coming over in 1888, however, it may have
                            been my John's father since he is listed as 38 years of age and my ggf would
                            have been about 10. The 1930 census indicates his arrival as 1889. I do know
                            that the men in many families came over earlie, so it's possible the listing
                            on the Aller is a relative. I need to do more research along this line.
                            Alyssa

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                              Hi Joe,
                              Mary Orendas/Arendacs had a baby in 1900 in Passaic, NJ; the baby died in
                              1901. The baby, Emil, is buried in St. Peter's GC Cemetery in Garfield NJ. A
                              cousin of mine is adamant, however, that my ggps were married at St. Mary's
                              in Passaic at the turn of the century. I am estimating the marriage date to
                              be 1898-1900. I have two dates of naturalisation for John; 1906 and 1911. I
                              am going to try and check these. I do believe, though, as you do, that Mary
                              was from the Hajtovka or Maly Lipnik(also east of Stara Lubovna) areas.
                              There were Arendacs(including a Zusanna) and Maczkos in Maly Lipnik, but I
                              haven't been able to prove a connection yet. For information on John's and
                              Mary's dates of arrival, see my earlier email to Ron. Thanks for your
                              confirming information!
                              Alyssa

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                                There are some Maczkos from Maly Lipnik (Kis Lipnik) who arrived on April
                                18, 1901, on the Barbarossa: Anna (32), Maria (4 3/4), Janko (3 1/4), Josef
                                (2 3/4), and little baby Hancsa? (might be Hanna), who's 11 months old.
                                They went to St. Clair, PA. The John (Janko) obviously can't be yours, but
                                they're probably relatives of yours.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 29, 2003
                                  If you look at the naturalization papers of 30 Mar 1911 you will
                                  probably find a list of his children, spouse, places of birth, etc, so
                                  you could tell if he is the correct John Maczko. You could go through
                                  the naturalization index at the courthouse that handled Passaic
                                  naturalizations, and look for all Maczkos. Then look at the papers for
                                  each to see what villages they were from. You may find cousins, as will
                                  as your GGF.

                                  Ron