Re: [S-R] newbie...BINO/BENO/URBAN ..Lelesz-Zemplen area

  • Denise Beno
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      At 11:58 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke Kapusany
      >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
      >Ukraine borders all meet.
      >Michael Mojher

      Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
      west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
      family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
      Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
      conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic here
      in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
      researching.

      Thanks for your help!
      Denise Beno

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
        Denise,
        From experience, be they Roman Catholic in America does not mean they
        were in Slovakia. My maternal grandfather was Roman Catholic here, but I
        found his birth in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia.
        Along similar lines. What we know as Slovakia for 900 years was ruled by
        the Hungarians. When asked what country they were from those that identified
        with being Slovak would say they were from Hungary.
        Michael Mojher
        > > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke
        Kapusany
        > >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
        > >Ukraine borders all meet.
        > >Michael Mojher
        >

        > Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
        > west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
        > family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
        > Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
        > conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic
        here
        > in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
        > researching.
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        > Denise Beno

      • RMH
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2003
          Hi, all -

          My father's sister married an Andrew Urban - according to the article "The
          Slovaks of Haverstraw" (Rockland County, NY) by Anthony X. Sutherland which
          appeared in "South of the Mountains", the quarterly of the Historical
          Society of Rockland County , the April-June 1986 issue (whew!), the Urbans
          came to Haverstraw from Secovska Polianka in Zemplin.

          My father's parents, Andrej Rabatin and Julia Makohus, also came from the
          same town. I have noticed that URBAN is a very common name, occurring in
          many countries, including Germany - I know someone of that name who is
          German.

          These Urbans and Rabatins never considered themselves anything but Slovak.
          They came here before 1900. Maybe the date when they thought of themselves
          as Magyar is important? Census records say mine are *Slovak* from, in
          different censuses, Austria-Hungary, Austria, or Hungary! I do know that
          in Europe my grandmother was Greek Catholic, but the church that the Slovaks
          formed in Haverstraw in 1898 was Roman Catholic, and that's the one they all
          attended. I once heard that Julia Makohus was "White Russian", by which I
          assume the family originally came from Belarus before settling in Zemplin?
          Something I have to dig into when I can.

          So what I'm basically saying is that there was a family named URBAN in
          Zemplin who were definitely Slovak - which doesn't mean that there weren't
          also Hungarian families named Urban.

          Regina Rabatin Haring
          Nanuet, NY
          http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com