Maczko, Orendas/Arendacs

  • eppicha
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 2:18 PM
      Dear Listmembers,

      I have a problem which I hope can be solved with your advice.

      I have hit a brick wall in attempting to determine the natal villages
      of my ggf, John Maczko b 12.24.1878 and my ggm, Mary
      Orendas/Arendacs, b.03.13.1883(approx). Information on the death
      certificate of their eldest child, Emil b.1900 d.1901, indicates that
      he was from Saros(county, I assume) and she from Eperjies(modern day
      Presov, district I assume). We know that they were married somewhere
      between 1898 and 1900, but we do not have an exact date. I contacted
      St. Mary's Assumption Roman Catholic Slovak Church in Passaic NJ this
      morning, where they were married, for information, on the advice of a
      genealogist friend and while I got a very nice, though busy,
      reception from the church secretary, she agreed to try and look up
      the information. I did expect this; I do have an uncle in the area,
      but he is inexperienced and I hesitate to urge him to do the lookup.
      I live in New Hampshire and am unable to get down to NJ until next
      October. My problem is that when I called the church later to check
      on the secretary's progress, I got a very nasty reception from the
      Monsignor that's left a bad taste in my mouth. So, can anyone tell me
      how else I can track down the original villages? Through the good
      help of Steve Osifchin at tccweb. org, I have the 1910, 1920 and 1930
      censuses, but no villages are listed, and I am at an impasse! I thank
      you all in advance for whatever help you can give-
      Alyssa