Re: [S-R] newbie...BINO/BENO/URBAN ..Lelesz-Zemplen area

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke Kapusany
      and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
      Ukraine borders all meet.
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
        At 11:58 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke Kapusany
        >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
        >Ukraine borders all meet.
        >Michael Mojher

        Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
        west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
        family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
        Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
        conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic here
        in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
        researching.

        Thanks for your help!
        Denise Beno

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
          Denise,
          From experience, be they Roman Catholic in America does not mean they
          were in Slovakia. My maternal grandfather was Roman Catholic here, but I
          found his birth in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia.
          Along similar lines. What we know as Slovakia for 900 years was ruled by
          the Hungarians. When asked what country they were from those that identified
          with being Slovak would say they were from Hungary.
          Michael Mojher
          > > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke
          Kapusany
          > >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
          > >Ukraine borders all meet.
          > >Michael Mojher
          >

          > Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
          > west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
          > family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
          > Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
          > conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic
          here
          > in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
          > researching.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!
          > Denise Beno

        • RMH
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2003
            Hi, all -

            My father's sister married an Andrew Urban - according to the article "The
            Slovaks of Haverstraw" (Rockland County, NY) by Anthony X. Sutherland which
            appeared in "South of the Mountains", the quarterly of the Historical
            Society of Rockland County , the April-June 1986 issue (whew!), the Urbans
            came to Haverstraw from Secovska Polianka in Zemplin.

            My father's parents, Andrej Rabatin and Julia Makohus, also came from the
            same town. I have noticed that URBAN is a very common name, occurring in
            many countries, including Germany - I know someone of that name who is
            German.

            These Urbans and Rabatins never considered themselves anything but Slovak.
            They came here before 1900. Maybe the date when they thought of themselves
            as Magyar is important? Census records say mine are *Slovak* from, in
            different censuses, Austria-Hungary, Austria, or Hungary! I do know that
            in Europe my grandmother was Greek Catholic, but the church that the Slovaks
            formed in Haverstraw in 1898 was Roman Catholic, and that's the one they all
            attended. I once heard that Julia Makohus was "White Russian", by which I
            assume the family originally came from Belarus before settling in Zemplin?
            Something I have to dig into when I can.

            So what I'm basically saying is that there was a family named URBAN in
            Zemplin who were definitely Slovak - which doesn't mean that there weren't
            also Hungarian families named Urban.

            Regina Rabatin Haring
            Nanuet, NY
            http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

            >1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
            >Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
            >remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
            >researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
            >certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name.

            There are six Bino listed for the town of Leles in the online SK phone
            directory:

            Alexander Binó Leles
            Július Binó Leles
            Ladislav Bino Leles
            Ladislav Binó Leles
            Mikulás Bino Leles
            Peter Bino Leles

            A letter to one of them might clear up the nationality issue.

            The Roman Catholic church records LDS microfilm numbers for Leles can be
            found at:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?dis
            play=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=741370&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matri
            ka

            I don't think there was a Greek Catholic church in Leles.

            > I believe the other names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky--
            > are Slovak, but I'm not certain of that either. I have found a little
            > bit of helpful info on name meanings from a link someone posted a while
            > ago. This was somewhat
            >helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?

            You might try http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrpi.html . This site
            lists about 3,000 Slovak surnames.

            >2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
            >(those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
            >Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her from
            >when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
            >with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
            >when no one was listening?

            I believe most spoke Slovak, Rusyn, etc. except for the officials or if
            communicating with an official or in school.

            >4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
            >this correct?

            Yes but it can also be Anglicized to Emery.

            John M.