Re: [S-R] newbie...BINO/BENO/URBAN ..Lelesz-Zemplen area

  • Edward Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      There are a large number of Beno's located in Lakewood, Ohio ---my old home town.

      Ed Martin

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
        I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke Kapusany
        and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
        Ukraine borders all meet.
        Michael Mojher
        > My name is Denise Beno and I'm researching ancestors from the Leles area
        of
        > Eastern Slovakia, formerly Zemplen megye Lelesz, Hungary.
        >
        > I'm fairly new to genealogy research, but I'm happy with the progress I've
        > made so far. My next step is to order LDS records.
        >
        > I have skimmed thru most of the 7,000 posts in the archives of this list
        > and have found some valuable and interesting info. I've been reading up
        on
        > the history of the area and the people too.
        >
        > Of course, I do have some questions to pose to the list.
        >
        > 1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
        > Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
        > remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
        > researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
        > certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name. I believe the
        other
        > names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky-- are Slovak, but I'm not
        > certain of that either. I have found a little bit of helpful info on name
        > meanings from a link someone posted a while ago. This was somewhat
        > helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?
        >
        > 2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
        > (those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
        > Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her
        from
        > when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
        > with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
        > when no one was listening?
        >
        > 3. Landlords: I think my family were peasants or serfs. Is there a
        > record somewhere of the feudal landlords in Austria-Hungary during the
        1800's?

        > 4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
        > this correct?
        >
        > Ok, I will stop at 4 questions.
        >
        > I realize that these questions may have been addressed before to others on
        > the list and some of you "long time" list members probably tire of
        > answering the same questions over and over. (I moderate a couple of yahoo
        > lists too, and this happens all the time!). I want to thank you for your
        > time responding to my questions in advance.
        >
        > Warm regards,
        > Denise Beno
        >
        > BINO/BENO/URBAN/ULCHAK/EMLICKY
        > from: Lelesz, Hungary/Leles, Slovakia

      • Denise Beno
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
          At 11:58 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
          > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke Kapusany
          >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
          >Ukraine borders all meet.
          >Michael Mojher

          Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
          west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
          family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
          Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
          conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic here
          in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
          researching.

          Thanks for your help!
          Denise Beno

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
            Denise,
            From experience, be they Roman Catholic in America does not mean they
            were in Slovakia. My maternal grandfather was Roman Catholic here, but I
            found his birth in the Greek Catholic records in Slovakia.
            Along similar lines. What we know as Slovakia for 900 years was ruled by
            the Hungarians. When asked what country they were from those that identified
            with being Slovak would say they were from Hungary.
            Michael Mojher
            > > I located a Leles, Slovakia just off Highway 555 between Velke
            Kapusany
            > >and Kralovsky Chimec. This is in the area where Slovakia, Hungary and the
            > >Ukraine borders all meet.
            > >Michael Mojher
            >

            > Right!! Leles is in the Slovakia, Hungary and Ukraine border region, just
            > west of the northern crook in the Tisza River-- hence the confusion on my
            > family's ethnicity. I've been reading about the Slavs, the Hungarians,
            > Carpatho-Rusyns of the region, looked at ethnic maps, etc. I have nothing
            > conclusive from family either. My family's religion is Roman Catholic
            here
            > in the States, so I believe it was Roman Catholic in Leles, but I'm still
            > researching.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
            > Denise Beno

          • RMH
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2003
              Hi, all -

              My father's sister married an Andrew Urban - according to the article "The
              Slovaks of Haverstraw" (Rockland County, NY) by Anthony X. Sutherland which
              appeared in "South of the Mountains", the quarterly of the Historical
              Society of Rockland County , the April-June 1986 issue (whew!), the Urbans
              came to Haverstraw from Secovska Polianka in Zemplin.

              My father's parents, Andrej Rabatin and Julia Makohus, also came from the
              same town. I have noticed that URBAN is a very common name, occurring in
              many countries, including Germany - I know someone of that name who is
              German.

              These Urbans and Rabatins never considered themselves anything but Slovak.
              They came here before 1900. Maybe the date when they thought of themselves
              as Magyar is important? Census records say mine are *Slovak* from, in
              different censuses, Austria-Hungary, Austria, or Hungary! I do know that
              in Europe my grandmother was Greek Catholic, but the church that the Slovaks
              formed in Haverstraw in 1898 was Roman Catholic, and that's the one they all
              attended. I once heard that Julia Makohus was "White Russian", by which I
              assume the family originally came from Belarus before settling in Zemplin?
              Something I have to dig into when I can.

              So what I'm basically saying is that there was a family named URBAN in
              Zemplin who were definitely Slovak - which doesn't mean that there weren't
              also Hungarian families named Urban.

              Regina Rabatin Haring
              Nanuet, NY
              http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

              >1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
              >Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
              >remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
              >researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
              >certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name.

              There are six Bino listed for the town of Leles in the online SK phone
              directory:

              Alexander Binó Leles
              Július Binó Leles
              Ladislav Bino Leles
              Ladislav Binó Leles
              Mikulás Bino Leles
              Peter Bino Leles

              A letter to one of them might clear up the nationality issue.

              The Roman Catholic church records LDS microfilm numbers for Leles can be
              found at:

              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?dis
              play=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=741370&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matri
              ka

              I don't think there was a Greek Catholic church in Leles.

              > I believe the other names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky--
              > are Slovak, but I'm not certain of that either. I have found a little
              > bit of helpful info on name meanings from a link someone posted a while
              > ago. This was somewhat
              >helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?

              You might try http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrpi.html . This site
              lists about 3,000 Slovak surnames.

              >2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
              >(those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
              >Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her from
              >when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
              >with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
              >when no one was listening?

              I believe most spoke Slovak, Rusyn, etc. except for the officials or if
              communicating with an official or in school.

              >4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
              >this correct?

              Yes but it can also be Anglicized to Emery.

              John M.