newbie...BINO/BENO/URBAN ..Lelesz-Zemplen area

  • Denise Beno
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2003
      Greetings!

      My name is Denise Beno and I'm researching ancestors from the Leles area of
      Eastern Slovakia, formerly Zemplen megye Lelesz, Hungary.

      I'm fairly new to genealogy research, but I'm happy with the progress I've
      made so far. My next step is to order LDS records.

      I have skimmed thru most of the 7,000 posts in the archives of this list
      and have found some valuable and interesting info. I've been reading up on
      the history of the area and the people too.

      Of course, I do have some questions to pose to the list.

      1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
      Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
      remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
      researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
      certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name. I believe the other
      names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky-- are Slovak, but I'm not
      certain of that either. I have found a little bit of helpful info on name
      meanings from a link someone posted a while ago. This was somewhat
      helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?

      2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
      (those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
      Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her from
      when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
      with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
      when no one was listening?

      3. Landlords: I think my family were peasants or serfs. Is there a
      record somewhere of the feudal landlords in Austria-Hungary during the 1800's?

      4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
      this correct?

      Ok, I will stop at 4 questions.

      I realize that these questions may have been addressed before to others on
      the list and some of you "long time" list members probably tire of
      answering the same questions over and over. (I moderate a couple of yahoo
      lists too, and this happens all the time!). I want to thank you for your
      time responding to my questions in advance.

      Warm regards,
      Denise Beno

      BINO/BENO/URBAN/ULCHAK/EMLICKY
      from: Lelesz, Hungary/Leles, Slovakia
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2003
        At 01:29 PM 4/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:
        >Greetings!
        >1. My big question is concerning my ethnicity. My great-grandfather,
        >Andras (Andy) Bino, came to Ohio from Lelez in 1890. My uncle said he
        >remembers him to be a "proud" Hungarian. He thinks he spoke Magyar. In
        >researching my family surname of Bino, (Americanized to Beno) I'm not
        >certain if this is a Hungarian name or a Slovak name.

        There are six Bino listed for the town of Leles in the online SK phone
        directory:

        Alexander Binó Leles
        Július Binó Leles
        Ladislav Bino Leles
        Ladislav Binó Leles
        MikulᚠBino Leles
        Peter Bino Leles

        A letter to one of them might clear up the nationality issue.

        The Roman Catholic church records LDS microfilm numbers for Leles can be
        found at:

        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=741370&disp=Cirkevn%E1_matrika

        I don't think there was a Greek Catholic church in Leles.

        > I believe the other names in my family line; Urban, Ulchak, Emlicky--
        > are Slovak, but I'm not certain of that either. I have found a little
        > bit of helpful info on name meanings from a link someone posted a while
        > ago. This was somewhat
        >helpful. Can someone shed some more light for me?

        You might try http://feefhs.org/slovak/skdb1/slrpi.html . This site
        lists about 3,000 Slovak surnames.

        >2. In looking over the Ellis Island records, most members of my family
        >(those who came thru Ellis Island) where listed as Hungarian, speaking
        >Magyar. One great aunt was listed as speaking Slovak. I remember her from
        >when I was a small child. My cousins say she spoke Magyar. I am familiar
        >with the magyarasation of Slavic peoples. Did they speak Slovak at home
        >when no one was listening?

        I believe most spoke Slovak, Rusyn, etc. except for the officials or if
        communicating with an official or in school.

        >4. The Hungarian name of Imre--I've seen it Americanized to James??? Is
        >this correct?

        Yes but it can also be Anglicized to Emery.

        John M.