Ships lists and how to search

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 11:12 AM
      Sorry for the blank message, hit the wrong key. Here is what I sent to
      my other lists
      You will find much info on this on my Helpful Hints site, url below.
      __________

      First of all, it doesn't matter where the port of departure in Ireland
      was. There are virtually no lists kept at place of departure (except for
      Sweden and Hamburg).

      You can search indexes to all US ports , tho years differ, by going to
      my Helpful Hints page and reading the sections there on NY arrivals and
      other us arrivals. It has film #s to order films at your local FHC.

      Yes, there are some lists online, but they are few and far between
      (except for the Ellis Island site, which even the Ellis Island people
      admit is full of errors), so you'd be better off searching the indexes
      yourself first.

      But beware... it was not required by the US govt before 1892 to ask
      detailed info on where people were going, coming from etc. So in 1861
      you're not going to find much, and it is sometimes virtually impossible
      to tell one John McCarthy (for example) from another.

      re: the Slovak Roots question, records are kept until 1949 for ship
      arrivals. After that you need to deal with Immigration and
      Naturalization service. Info on that is also on my Helpful Hints page.
      Some people are very lucky with that, myself, I have made 3 requests and
      finally got an answer to one after 2 years... and they sent me a cannot
      find info on my ancestor letter attached to a large file on some Cuban
      immigrant by accident. Go figure :)

      Maura
      Maura Petzolt   mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage