[S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, McKee June <junemckee@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Frank,
      >
      > I am just wondering if there was a mistake made or
      > either my grandmother had a stepfather. On all of the
      > paperwork that we have ever seen which hasnt been too
      > much her maiden name was boldizar. I ordered her death
      > certificate and it told me that her fathers name was
      > Joseph bolga. I sent several months for her
      > immigration papers which I am waiting for and that
      > should give me much more information beings she would
      > have been the person giving the information. My
      > grandfather gave the information on the death
      > certificate when she died.
      >
      > As far as the Maria Boldizar age 21 , I know that she
      > was only 16 and was not married till she got to new
      > york then met my grandfather which is a Joseph Kolina.
      > Strange her name is Mary.

      Today many people move to large cities to work.
      In the past most stayed in their native villages.
      For example, the Slovakia telephone directory lists
      under Bratislava :

      8 surnames Bolgác^, male, including 1 doctor and 2 engineers.
      5 surnames Bolgác^ová , female.

      2 surnames Boldiz^árová, female.

      The EIR listed only 10 surnames Boldizár.
      3 surnames had emigrated from Jugoslavija.
      The son listed bore either a Serbian or Slovak first name, which
      was not a Croatian or Slovene or Hungarian given name.

      Social Security Death Index (SSDI) began in 1937.
      Lists 22 surnames Kolina.

      SSDI lists only 6 surnames Bolga.
      A Joseph Bolga (1909-1974) was listed under Pittsburgh PA.
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
        I do know that my g-grandfather was a joseph bolga as
        from what my grandmothers death certificate said, but
        I know from what my father told me that joseph bolga
        was a engineer and died by falling off a building in
        hungary. Julia my g-grandmother also died in hungary.
        My grandmother mary boldizar I know wouldnt be in the
        SSI beings she did die in 1935. I have seen my uncles
        listed but not my grandfather Joseph Kolina which is
        spelled Kuling in the ellis island.
        June

        http://platinum.yahoo.com