Re: Mehi Hungary

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2003
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Barbara A Foote
      <magna-ut-search@j...> wrote:
      > Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction
      for
      > Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary. Also, do I put Austria on the end or
      > was it later after her birth. My grandmother was born there in 1894
      > and I have been told it was spelled another way also. Also how
      would
      > I find this on the map since it has changed over the years. Thank
      you
      > for the help
      > --
      > Barbara A Foote
      > Stake Family Search Center Director
      > Magna, Utah Stake
      > (801) 250-2567

      Believe John M answered your query.
      However, I do read/write Hungarian.
      Pre-WW I Hungary was divided into 76 administrative units called megye
      (counties)and Zemplén megye was the eastern most county in what is
      now Slovakia.

      Administrative (political) term 'county' was always megye or vármegye
      in Magyar.
      And 'district' was called a járás.

      Pre-1923 Slovak 'counties' were called z^upy or stolice and 'region'
      was kraj in Slovak.
      The term z^upa was discontinued in 1923, when the term okres
      (district) was introduced.

      Gömör-és-Kis-Hont vármegye , Hungary was called Gemer-Malohont z^upa
      in Slovak.

      Magyar
      és = and (conj)
      kis = little (adj)
      Slovak
      ma'lo = small

      Méhi

      http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:_noJpyQYKbMC:www.ancestry.com/lib
      rary/view/news/articles/2190.asp+Gomor+es+Kis-hont&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

      R.C. parish church records (1769-1895) exist for Vc^elince (Sk)
      Méhi (H)

      As to whether the LDS-Mormons have already filmed them ?

      Call International desk 800 number for the LDS HQ in Salt Lake
      City, UT, USA and ask ?
      A toll free number 1-800-453-3860, extension 2881.

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.