Re: [S-R] Mehi Hungary

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2003
      At 09:07 PM 3/29/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      >Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction for
      >Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary.

      There was a Mehi in Upper Hungary and then Slovakia. It was known as that
      from 1773-1913 and beyond. It is now known as Vc^elince. It was in
      Gemerska (Gemerska-malohontska) It looks your version was perhaps the
      Hungarian version. I don't know Hungarian but I noticed this map:
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg which is labeled Gomor es
      Kis-Hont Varmegye (county). Mehi (48º 23' and 20º 18') is just southwest
      of Tornalja on this 1910(?) map.

      > Also, do I put Austria on the end or was it later after her birth.

      It was a part of Hungary and Hungary was a part of the dual kingdom of
      Austria Hungary. I believe the dual kingdom was established in
      1867. Technically she would be Hungarian before 1919 and then
      Czechoslovakian. She could have been a Slovak living there. What language
      did she speak?

      > My grandmother was born there in 1894 and I have been told it was
      > spelled another way also. Also how would I find this on the map since it
      > has changed over the years. Thank you for the help

      If you put Mehi into
      Shtetlseeker http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm and use
      Slovakia for the country, it will give you the coordinates for Mehi (now
      Vc^elince). Click on the highlighted coordinates and it will give you a
      current map. What religion were they? I may be able to tell you where you
      might find the church records, although based on your signature line and
      location, you should be easily able to find the records.

      John M.

      >--
      >Barbara A Foote
      >Stake Family Search Center Director
      >Magna, Utah Stake
      >(801) 250-2567
      >
      >http://www.familysearch.org
      >http://www.lds.org
      >http://www.providentliving.org/
      >http://www.mormon.org
      >

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 30, 2003
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Barbara A Foote
        <magna-ut-search@j...> wrote:
        > Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction
        for
        > Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary. Also, do I put Austria on the end or
        > was it later after her birth. My grandmother was born there in 1894
        > and I have been told it was spelled another way also. Also how
        would
        > I find this on the map since it has changed over the years. Thank
        you
        > for the help
        > --
        > Barbara A Foote
        > Stake Family Search Center Director
        > Magna, Utah Stake
        > (801) 250-2567

        Believe John M answered your query.
        However, I do read/write Hungarian.
        Pre-WW I Hungary was divided into 76 administrative units called megye
        (counties)and Zemplén megye was the eastern most county in what is
        now Slovakia.

        Administrative (political) term 'county' was always megye or vármegye
        in Magyar.
        And 'district' was called a járás.

        Pre-1923 Slovak 'counties' were called z^upy or stolice and 'region'
        was kraj in Slovak.
        The term z^upa was discontinued in 1923, when the term okres
        (district) was introduced.

        Gömör-és-Kis-Hont vármegye , Hungary was called Gemer-Malohont z^upa
        in Slovak.

        Magyar
        és = and (conj)
        kis = little (adj)
        Slovak
        ma'lo = small

        Méhi

        http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:_noJpyQYKbMC:www.ancestry.com/lib
        rary/view/news/articles/2190.asp+Gomor+es+Kis-hont&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

        R.C. parish church records (1769-1895) exist for Vc^elince (Sk)
        Méhi (H)

        As to whether the LDS-Mormons have already filmed them ?

        Call International desk 800 number for the LDS HQ in Salt Lake
        City, UT, USA and ask ?
        A toll free number 1-800-453-3860, extension 2881.

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.