Mehi Hungary

  • Barbara A Foote
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 8:07 PM
      Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction for
      Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary. Also, do I put Austria on the end or
      was it later after her birth. My grandmother was born there in 1894
      and I have been told it was spelled another way also. Also how would
      I find this on the map since it has changed over the years. Thank you
      for the help
      --
      Barbara A Foote
      Stake Family Search Center Director

      http://www.familysearch.org
      http://www.lds.org
      http://www.providentliving.org/
      http://www.mormon.org
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29 11:36 PM
        At 09:07 PM 3/29/2003 -0700, you wrote:
        >Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction for
        >Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary.

        There was a Mehi in Upper Hungary and then Slovakia. It was known as that
        from 1773-1913 and beyond. It is now known as Vc^elince. It was in
        Gemerska (Gemerska-malohontska) It looks your version was perhaps the
        Hungarian version. I don't know Hungarian but I noticed this map:
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg which is labeled Gomor es
        Kis-Hont Varmegye (county). Mehi (48º 23' and 20º 18') is just southwest
        of Tornalja on this 1910(?) map.

        > Also, do I put Austria on the end or was it later after her birth.

        It was a part of Hungary and Hungary was a part of the dual kingdom of
        Austria Hungary. I believe the dual kingdom was established in
        1867. Technically she would be Hungarian before 1919 and then
        Czechoslovakian. She could have been a Slovak living there. What language
        did she speak?

        > My grandmother was born there in 1894 and I have been told it was
        > spelled another way also. Also how would I find this on the map since it
        > has changed over the years. Thank you for the help

        If you put Mehi into
        Shtetlseeker http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm and use
        Slovakia for the country, it will give you the coordinates for Mehi (now
        Vc^elince). Click on the highlighted coordinates and it will give you a
        current map. What religion were they? I may be able to tell you where you
        might find the church records, although based on your signature line and
        location, you should be easily able to find the records.

        John M.

        >--
        >Barbara A Foote
        >Stake Family Search Center Director
        >Magna, Utah Stake
        >(801) 250-2567
        >
        >http://www.familysearch.org
        >http://www.lds.org
        >http://www.providentliving.org/
        >http://www.mormon.org
        >

        >To unsubscribe from this group, go to

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30 7:06 AM
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Barbara A Foote
          <magna-ut-search@j...> wrote:
          > Would anyone know if this is the correct spelling and conjunction
          for
          > Mehi Gomormegue-Hungary. Also, do I put Austria on the end or
          > was it later after her birth. My grandmother was born there in 1894
          > and I have been told it was spelled another way also. Also how
          would
          > I find this on the map since it has changed over the years. Thank
          you
          > for the help
          > --
          > Barbara A Foote
          > Stake Family Search Center Director
          > Magna, Utah Stake
          > (801) 250-2567

          Believe John M answered your query.
          However, I do read/write Hungarian.
          Pre-WW I Hungary was divided into 76 administrative units called megye
          (counties)and Zemplén megye was the eastern most county in what is
          now Slovakia.

          Administrative (political) term 'county' was always megye or vármegye
          in Magyar.
          And 'district' was called a járás.

          Pre-1923 Slovak 'counties' were called z^upy or stolice and 'region'
          was kraj in Slovak.
          The term z^upa was discontinued in 1923, when the term okres
          (district) was introduced.

          Gömör-és-Kis-Hont vármegye , Hungary was called Gemer-Malohont z^upa
          in Slovak.

          Magyar
          és = and (conj)
          kis = little (adj)
          Slovak
          ma'lo = small

          Méhi

          http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:_noJpyQYKbMC:www.ancestry.com/lib
          rary/view/news/articles/2190.asp+Gomor+es+Kis-hont&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          R.C. parish church records (1769-1895) exist for Vc^elince (Sk)
          Méhi (H)

          As to whether the LDS-Mormons have already filmed them ?

          Call International desk 800 number for the LDS HQ in Salt Lake
          City, UT, USA and ask ?
          A toll free number 1-800-453-3860, extension 2881.

          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
          part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
          part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.