Re: [S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova

  • Stephanie M
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
      Just a note about a little luck I had on ellis island.
      Try a sibling.
      I could not for the life of me find my g g grandmother-but when I looked up
      one of her children's names-it came up-
      she came over here with 3 of her children to join her husband

      1st of all she was listed under her maiden name-and on the ei they spelled
      it incorrectly-but her children came under their father's name-and I found
      them without any difficulty which of course meant that I found her as well.

    • Marianne50614@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
        I always look at the Ellis Island info for children. I know some of my ancestors/relatives came to the U.S. as children, and knowing that, I look at those too. Like Stephanie's case, the children's mother was listed under her maiden name, but the info on to whom these children and their mother were going gave me info on other relatives who were already here.

        http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455
      • RMH
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
          I had come across the fact that if an Italian woman travelled here without
          her husband, she was listed under her maiden name - I found my
          daughter-in-law's grandmother listed this way, and was told that that was
          routine. Maybe the same custom applied for those coming from
          Austria-Hungary?

          Regina Rabatin Haring
          Nanuet, NY
          http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

          > I always look at the Ellis Island info for children. I know some of my
          ancestors/relatives came to the U.S. as children, and knowing that, I look
          at those too. Like Stephanie's case, the children's mother was listed under
          her maiden name, but the info on to whom these children and their mother
          were going gave me info on other relatives who were already here.

          > "Stephanie M" <czeching@...> wrote:
          >
          > >Just a note about a little luck I had on ellis island.
          > >Try a sibling.
          > >I could not for the life of me find my g g grandmother-but when I looked
          up
          > >one of her children's names-it came up-
          > >she came over here with 3 of her children to join her husband
          > >
          > >1st of all she was listed under her maiden name-and on the ei they
          spelled
          > >it incorrectly-but her children came under their father's name-and I
          found
          > >them without any difficulty which of course meant that I found her as
          well.

          > >>From: William F Brna <wfbrna@...>
          > >>To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          > >>Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova
          > >>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:58:09 -0500
          > >>
          > >>June,
          > >>
          > >>May I suggest that you try every possible spelling combination of your
          > >>grandmother's name in the EI records? I had tried to find my father's
          > >>record ever since Ellis Island went on line. I found my uncle's record
          > >>but could not find my father's. Last week,after reviewing the soundex
          > >>records for NY arrivals, I found my uncle's record twice, once spelled
          > >>"Brna" and once spelled "Brua". It was the same record but when the
          > >>soundex list was compiled, it was read properly once and once in error.
          > >>His first name was Tomas and it was recorded as "Jamas". In reviewing
          > >>the soundex record, I found 9 people whose surname was "Brna" (none of
          > >>them my father) and three in which the surname was spelled "Brno". These
          > >>were three children. I then went back to the Ellis Island records, using
          > >>the spelling "Brno" and found my father's record. You must remember that
          > >>many of the people who came through Ellis Island may have been
          > >>illiterate, to some degree, and the immigration authorities were not all
          > >>that great when it came to recording Central European names, nor were
          > >>they able to read properly what an immigrant may have written.
          > >>
          > >>Bill Brna
          > >>
          > >>On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:07:33 -0800 (PST) McKee June
          <junemckee@...>

          > >>________________________________________________________________
          > >>Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today
          > >>Only $9.95 per month!
          > >>Visit www.juno.com

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
            wrote:
            > Hi Frank,
            >
            > I am just wondering if there was a mistake made or
            > either my grandmother had a stepfather. On all of the
            > paperwork that we have ever seen which hasnt been too
            > much her maiden name was boldizar. I ordered her death
            > certificate and it told me that her fathers name was
            > Joseph bolga. I sent several months for her
            > immigration papers which I am waiting for and that
            > should give me much more information beings she would
            > have been the person giving the information. My
            > grandfather gave the information on the death
            > certificate when she died.
            >
            > As far as the Maria Boldizar age 21 , I know that she
            > was only 16 and was not married till she got to new
            > york then met my grandfather which is a Joseph Kolina.
            > Strange her name is Mary.

            Today many people move to large cities to work.
            In the past most stayed in their native villages.
            For example, the Slovakia telephone directory lists
            under Bratislava :

            8 surnames Bolgác^, male, including 1 doctor and 2 engineers.
            5 surnames Bolgác^ová , female.

            2 surnames Boldiz^árová, female.

            The EIR listed only 10 surnames Boldizár.
            3 surnames had emigrated from Jugoslavija.
            The son listed bore either a Serbian or Slovak first name, which
            was not a Croatian or Slovene or Hungarian given name.

            Social Security Death Index (SSDI) began in 1937.
            Lists 22 surnames Kolina.

            SSDI lists only 6 surnames Bolga.
            A Joseph Bolga (1909-1974) was listed under Pittsburgh PA.
          • McKee June
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
              I do know that my g-grandfather was a joseph bolga as
              from what my grandmothers death certificate said, but
              I know from what my father told me that joseph bolga
              was a engineer and died by falling off a building in
              hungary. Julia my g-grandmother also died in hungary.
              My grandmother mary boldizar I know wouldnt be in the
              SSI beings she did die in 1935. I have seen my uncles
              listed but not my grandfather Joseph Kolina which is
              spelled Kuling in the ellis island.
              June

              http://platinum.yahoo.com