Re: [S-R] Slovenia History and Given name pronunciation

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2003
      Dear Bruce,
      I am probably the only Slovenian on SR.
      There are two theories about when the Slovenes settled . The official one
      says in 6th century, the unofficial says, we were there at least 500 years
      BC. This is a very complex issue, that would probably not interest Slovaks.
      You can write me directly to konekta@...
      Will be glad to exchange views and tell you more.
      Somewhere in the past, Slovaks and Slovenes were most probably one tribe.
      Although, I also have my own theories about Slovaks.
      People, who call themselves Slovaks, and mean citizenship, are descendants
      of at least twelve ethnic groups. This ia another, very complex subject.
      How to pronounce Janez?
      Janez is John, and comes from Joannes in Latin.It is a synonimus for a
      Slovenian.
      The first "JA" is pronounced as in Yamaha.
      NE is pronounced like in word never
      Z is pronounced like in Zippo.
      Best regards,
      Vladimir Bohinc