Re: [S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova

  • McKee June
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 28, 2003
      Hi Frank,

      I am just wondering if there was a mistake made or
      either my grandmother had a stepfather. On all of the
      paperwork that we have ever seen which hasnt been too
      much her maiden name was boldizar. I ordered her death
      certificate and it told me that her fathers name was
      Joseph bolga. I sent several months for her
      immigration papers which I am waiting for and that
      should give me much more information beings she would
      have been the person giving the information. My
      grandfather gave the information on the death
      certificate when she died.

      As far as the Maria Boldizar age 21 , I know that she
      was only 16 and was not married till she got to new
      york then met my grandfather which is a Joseph Kolina.
      Strange her name is Mary.

      I have looked over the ellis Island in the past but
      not too recently for her name and none of them could
      have been her because of the dates. I am going to take
      another close look at it again and see if anything has
      been added. I guess I have just been hoping that the
      immigration papers I am waiting for will tell me what
      I need to know.

      thank you for your help as in the past. You are a
      great wealth of good information. I enjoy reading what
      you post because I always seem to learn something from
      what you write.

      thanks,
      June

      http://platinum.yahoo.com
    • William F Brna
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
        June,

        May I suggest that you try every possible spelling combination of your
        grandmother's name in the EI records? I had tried to find my father's
        record ever since Ellis Island went on line. I found my uncle's record
        but could not find my father's. Last week,after reviewing the soundex
        records for NY arrivals, I found my uncle's record twice, once spelled
        "Brna" and once spelled "Brua". It was the same record but when the
        soundex list was compiled, it was read properly once and once in error.
        His first name was Tomas and it was recorded as "Jamas". In reviewing
        the soundex record, I found 9 people whose surname was "Brna" (none of
        them my father) and three in which the surname was spelled "Brno". These
        were three children. I then went back to the Ellis Island records, using
        the spelling "Brno" and found my father's record. You must remember that
        many of the people who came through Ellis Island may have been
        illiterate, to some degree, and the immigration authorities were not all
        that great when it came to recording Central European names, nor were
        they able to read properly what an immigrant may have written.

        Bill Brna

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com
      • McKee June
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
          William,
          thanks for the information I will look at it again. I
          believe that is what has happened with my grandfathers
          name Kolina as I think we may have found him but it is
          spelled Kulina. Paul had found this for me in december
          and I didnt think it was him till a month or so ago
          when I really took a good look at it and I do beleive
          it could be my grandfather. That is the ship manifest
          that I had sent for and did not get anymore
          information from them than what ellis island gives
          you. I need to get more to know if it is him or not
          such as his parents names which I was hoping to get
          but didnt. I have them from his death certificate but
          really want to know if the ship mainfest with the name
          kulina is him.

          thanks for the information
          June

          http://platinum.yahoo.com
        • Bruce Morrison
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
            I would appreciate any help on 2 issues:

            1. In the research I have done on Slovenia, it talked about the original
            inhabitants were Slavic people who spoke Slovenian around 500A.D. Where
            were these Slovenes from and were Slovaks and Slovenians from these same
            first Slavic people?

            2. How do you pronounce the Slovenian given name "Janez"?

            Thanks much!

            Bruce

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
              At 08:04 AM 3/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:
              >William,
              >thanks for the information I will look at it again. I
              >believe that is what has happened with my grandfathers
              >name Kolina as I think we may have found him but it is
              >spelled Kulina.

              If it is the Kulina that arrived in 1902, he was, I believe, from
              Presov. The manifest shows him coming from Efserics but it looks more like
              Eperies which was one of the names for Presov. The name listed for Presov
              for the period 1863-1913 was Eperjes. The two sound quite a bit alike so
              it could have been an error on the part of the clerk that entered it.

              you. I need to get more to know if it is him or not
              >such as his parents names which I was hoping to get
              >but didnt. I have them from his death certificate but
              >really want to know if the ship mainfest with the name
              >kulina is him.

              Does the age come close to what you know of him? The LDS have the
              microfilms for Presov:

              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=64226&subject_disp=Slovakia,_Presov&columns=*,180,0

              You might be able to find him in the church birth records based on his name
              and age. Do you know what religion he practiced? The manifest indicates
              he was born about 1876. I had a hard time finding my father in the EIDB
              because they transcribed a "c" to an "e" in his surname and my wife's
              grandfather because an "f" was transcribed as an "s". Good luck.

              John M
            • McKee June
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
                the age would work out to be exactly right beings he
                was born march 1886. It also looks to me like the
                ocpuation says butcher, which he was. He also had a
                twin brother which I dont know what his name was but
                looks as he was going to meet up with a brother.

                June
                --- "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
                > At 08:04 AM 3/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                > >William,
                > >thanks for the information I will look at it again.
                > >believe that is what has happened with my
                > grandfathers
                > >name Kolina as I think we may have found him but it
                > is
                > >spelled Kulina.
                >
                > If it is the Kulina that arrived in 1902, he was, I
                > believe, from
                > Presov. The manifest shows him coming from Efserics
                > but it looks more like
                > Eperies which was one of the names for Presov. The
                > name listed for Presov
                > for the period 1863-1913 was Eperjes. The two sound
                > quite a bit alike so
                > it could have been an error on the part of the clerk
                > that entered it.
                >
                > you. I need to get more to know if it is him or not
                > >such as his parents names which I was hoping to get
                > >but didnt. I have them from his death certificate
                > but
                > >really want to know if the ship mainfest with the
                > name
                > >kulina is him.
                >
                > Does the age come close to what you know of him?
                > The LDS have the
                > microfilms for Presov:

                http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=64226&subject_disp=Slovakia,_Presov&columns=*,180,0

                > You might be able to find him in the church birth
                > records based on his name
                > and age. Do you know what religion he practiced?
                > The manifest indicates
                > he was born about 1876. I had a hard time finding
                > my father in the EIDB
                > because they transcribed a "c" to an "e" in his
                > surname and my wife's
                > grandfather because an "f" was transcribed as an
                > "s". Good luck.
                >
                > John M

                http://platinum.yahoo.com
              • Stephanie M
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 29, 2003
                  Just a note about a little luck I had on ellis island.
                  Try a sibling.
                  I could not for the life of me find my g g grandmother-but when I looked up
                  one of her children's names-it came up-
                  she came over here with 3 of her children to join her husband

                  1st of all she was listed under her maiden name-and on the ei they spelled
                  it incorrectly-but her children came under their father's name-and I found
                  them without any difficulty which of course meant that I found her as well.

                • Marianne50614@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
                    I always look at the Ellis Island info for children. I know some of my ancestors/relatives came to the U.S. as children, and knowing that, I look at those too. Like Stephanie's case, the children's mother was listed under her maiden name, but the info on to whom these children and their mother were going gave me info on other relatives who were already here.

                    http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455
                  • RMH
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
                      I had come across the fact that if an Italian woman travelled here without
                      her husband, she was listed under her maiden name - I found my
                      daughter-in-law's grandmother listed this way, and was told that that was
                      routine. Maybe the same custom applied for those coming from
                      Austria-Hungary?

                      Regina Rabatin Haring
                      Nanuet, NY
                      http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

                      > I always look at the Ellis Island info for children. I know some of my
                      ancestors/relatives came to the U.S. as children, and knowing that, I look
                      at those too. Like Stephanie's case, the children's mother was listed under
                      her maiden name, but the info on to whom these children and their mother
                      were going gave me info on other relatives who were already here.

                      > "Stephanie M" <czeching@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >Just a note about a little luck I had on ellis island.
                      > >Try a sibling.
                      > >I could not for the life of me find my g g grandmother-but when I looked
                      up
                      > >one of her children's names-it came up-
                      > >she came over here with 3 of her children to join her husband
                      > >
                      > >1st of all she was listed under her maiden name-and on the ei they
                      spelled
                      > >it incorrectly-but her children came under their father's name-and I
                      found
                      > >them without any difficulty which of course meant that I found her as
                      well.

                      > >>From: William F Brna <wfbrna@...>
                      > >>To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > >>Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: surname gender affix -ova
                      > >>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:58:09 -0500
                      > >>
                      > >>June,
                      > >>
                      > >>May I suggest that you try every possible spelling combination of your
                      > >>grandmother's name in the EI records? I had tried to find my father's
                      > >>record ever since Ellis Island went on line. I found my uncle's record
                      > >>but could not find my father's. Last week,after reviewing the soundex
                      > >>records for NY arrivals, I found my uncle's record twice, once spelled
                      > >>"Brna" and once spelled "Brua". It was the same record but when the
                      > >>soundex list was compiled, it was read properly once and once in error.
                      > >>His first name was Tomas and it was recorded as "Jamas". In reviewing
                      > >>the soundex record, I found 9 people whose surname was "Brna" (none of
                      > >>them my father) and three in which the surname was spelled "Brno". These
                      > >>were three children. I then went back to the Ellis Island records, using
                      > >>the spelling "Brno" and found my father's record. You must remember that
                      > >>many of the people who came through Ellis Island may have been
                      > >>illiterate, to some degree, and the immigration authorities were not all
                      > >>that great when it came to recording Central European names, nor were
                      > >>they able to read properly what an immigrant may have written.
                      > >>
                      > >>Bill Brna
                      > >>
                      > >>On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:07:33 -0800 (PST) McKee June
                      <junemckee@...>

                      > >>________________________________________________________________
                      > >>Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today
                      > >>Only $9.95 per month!
                      > >>Visit www.juno.com

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > Hi Frank,
                        >
                        > I am just wondering if there was a mistake made or
                        > either my grandmother had a stepfather. On all of the
                        > paperwork that we have ever seen which hasnt been too
                        > much her maiden name was boldizar. I ordered her death
                        > certificate and it told me that her fathers name was
                        > Joseph bolga. I sent several months for her
                        > immigration papers which I am waiting for and that
                        > should give me much more information beings she would
                        > have been the person giving the information. My
                        > grandfather gave the information on the death
                        > certificate when she died.
                        >
                        > As far as the Maria Boldizar age 21 , I know that she
                        > was only 16 and was not married till she got to new
                        > york then met my grandfather which is a Joseph Kolina.
                        > Strange her name is Mary.

                        Today many people move to large cities to work.
                        In the past most stayed in their native villages.
                        For example, the Slovakia telephone directory lists
                        under Bratislava :

                        8 surnames Bolgác^, male, including 1 doctor and 2 engineers.
                        5 surnames Bolgác^ová , female.

                        2 surnames Boldiz^árová, female.

                        The EIR listed only 10 surnames Boldizár.
                        3 surnames had emigrated from Jugoslavija.
                        The son listed bore either a Serbian or Slovak first name, which
                        was not a Croatian or Slovene or Hungarian given name.

                        Social Security Death Index (SSDI) began in 1937.
                        Lists 22 surnames Kolina.

                        SSDI lists only 6 surnames Bolga.
                        A Joseph Bolga (1909-1974) was listed under Pittsburgh PA.
                      • McKee June
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 30, 2003
                          I do know that my g-grandfather was a joseph bolga as
                          from what my grandmothers death certificate said, but
                          I know from what my father told me that joseph bolga
                          was a engineer and died by falling off a building in
                          hungary. Julia my g-grandmother also died in hungary.
                          My grandmother mary boldizar I know wouldnt be in the
                          SSI beings she did die in 1935. I have seen my uncles
                          listed but not my grandfather Joseph Kolina which is
                          spelled Kuling in the ellis island.
                          June

                          http://platinum.yahoo.com