Re: Dorfler, Derfler

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 1999
      Hi!

      Yours is a Germanic based name - or at least it has a firm Germanic
      (Austrian) translation. D�rfler or Doerfler are the accepted spellings,
      the "oe" being the proper substitute for the o umlaut. Dorf means
      'village', so I take Doerfler as 'villager'.

      Hope that is of interest. I am not aware of any incidents in 1905 in
      the Austrian province of Bohemia to inspire someone to change their
      name. With no better information, I am assuming they changed the name
      phonetically when they emmigrated to America, with Derfler in American
      matching their regional pronumciation. In some areas of Germany (and
      maybe parts of Austria) you would have ended up being a Dorfler.

      Ron