Re: [S-R] [Admin] NO "roll call"

  • jdubelko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
      Not to be disrespectful, but it seemed to me that the person who started the
      roll call generated some new interest among the list members. There were
      more responses to the "roll call" than to any other thread I've read recently
      on this list. It's also interesting (at least to me--any maybe to others
      too) to know the areas of Slovakia in which other members are genealogically
      searching. Just my thoughts--I've been a member of various genealogical
      lists for over 13 years and this is the first time I've read that it is
      improper and frowned upon by list owners to participtae in roll calls.

      Jim Dubelko

    • MrsKrissy99@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
        Jim, I agree with you....I don't want to be disrespectful neither....but I
        don't understand why it's not allowed. It's the most action I have seen this
        list have in awhile. I discovered a possible different spelling of a surname
        I am researching so I am delighted Roll Call was started.

      • Alyssa Eppich
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
          It's not that there should be no roll call; Maura was asking us to use another method on our subject lines to name our listings-for example the last names we are all looking for! Using roll call messes people up when they later go to look up your names and places in the archive. People will have to open up and look at every single "roll call" we put up in order to find the name they're interested in-

          Alyssa
          Jim, I agree with you....I don't want to be disrespectful neither....but I
          don't understand why it's not allowed. It's the most action I have seen this
          list have in awhile. I discovered a possible different spelling of a surname
          I am researching so I am delighted Roll Call was started.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • MAMallon
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
            My names for roll call are:
            Krizik
            Haviar

            M. Mallon
            mamallon@...

            ---

          • capt jack
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
              First time I have posted to this list, although I have monitored it for a year. I am currently researching the surname

              Gergel

            • Nick Holcz
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 25, 2003
                I am reasonably sure I know a George Gergel living in Perth Western Australia.
                Nick

                At 04:26 PM 25/03/2003 -0800, you wrote:

                >First time I have posted to this list, although I have monitored it for a
                >year. I am currently researching the surname
                >
                >Gergel

              • Ron Rafajko
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 26, 2003
                  What is the information on your GERGEL line?

                  My great grandmother was Katherine GERGEL, born 20 Aug 1977 in Brezova
                  pod Bradlom. She married Paul RAFAJKO on 28 Dec 1895. I don't have any
                  records of Katherine's father. Her mother was Ann CIRAN. I suspect
                  they were also from Brezova.

                  Any of this look similar to your GERGEL line?

                  THANKS!

                  ~ron

                  >>> captjack00@... 3/25/2003 5:26:10 PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 26, 2003
                    Ron,

                    Thanks for your reply, I am currently on business and about 2000 miles from; home, I will check my info once I return home and email you back properly when I return.

                    Jim

                  • mpetzolt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 26, 2003
                      First, thank you Alyssa for -reading- what I wrote...... you are correct, I did NOT say you could not send in surnames, just asked people to do it properly.

                      It really does not matter if you "nave done this on other lists" or whatever. It is NOT the proper thing to do, as is starting one without asking first (see the problems it can cause?). "Roll Call" is not the correct thing to put in a subject line, and some lists filter out posts that have this in the subject line. If you are not happy with the rules of this list, you can always find another.

                      Again, if you ever want to send in your surnames on any list, put the surname in the subject line in CAPS, first name, locations etc in lower case. That is the accepted, proper genealogical way to do it, and it's the way that will get you more help.,
                      And don't bother putting roll call at the end of your subject line, it serves no purpose... if people can't figure out that seeing a surname in your subject line you are sending in info on that surname... well.....

                      There is to be no more discussion about roll calls on this list. If you have a comment, send it privately. Any further posts on this on the list will result in being unsubscribed.

                      Maura
                      Listowner

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Alyssa Eppich" <eppicha@a...> wrote:
                      > It's not that there should be no roll call; Maura was asking us to use another method on our subject lines to name our listings-for example the last names we are all looking for! Using roll call messes people up when they later go to look up your names and places in the archive. People will have to open up and look at every single "roll call" we put up in order to find the name they're interested in-
                      >
                      > Alyssa
                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 27, 2003
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Rafajko" <rrafajko@n...>
                        wrote:
                        > What is the information on your GERGEL line?
                        >
                        > My great grandmother was Katherine GERGEL, born 20 Aug 1977 in
                        Brezova
                        > pod Bradlom. She married Paul RAFAJKO on 28 Dec 1895. I don't have
                        any
                        > records of Katherine's father. Her mother was Ann CIRAN. I suspect
                        > they were also from Brezova.
                        >
                        > Any of this look similar to your GERGEL line?
                        >
                        > THANKS!
                        >
                        > ~ron

                        Ron,

                        (Pod = under,below; nad = above, over) .

                        Brezová POD Bradlom (Sk) Berezó (H) is located 40 miles NNE of
                        Bratislava in okres (district) Senica (Sk) Szenice (H)
                        The Slovakia telephone directory lists the surname Gergel' and
                        Gergel under Bratislava, Senica nad Myavou, and Sen^a.

                        The directory also lists the surname C^iran (spelled with Slovak
                        diacritic letter C^ = Ch) under Bratislava and the surname Ciran
                        under Brezová Pod Bradlom.

                        The LDS-Mormons have not filmed the R.C. parish church records
                        (1733-1895) for Brezová POD Bradlom because they have
                        not filmed the Bratislava Archives as yet.
                        You would have to write the Archives or the Slovakia Embassy to
                        research your surnames.

                        > First time I have posted to this list, although I have monitored it
                        for
                        > a year. I am currently researching the surname
                        >
                        > Gergel

                      • Milan Huba
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
                          I also like the "Roll call" subject line. Whenever I see a roll call, I
                          immediately open it up to see if someone else is researching one of my
                          families. I believe the Roll Call serves a useful purpose and should be
                          kept.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
                            How about using as Subject Line "Roll Call: Family Name" like
                            "Roll Call: Alexy, Schmeiz"

                            Thomas

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
                              Forget this one I looked at his name and it is Girgal , Sorry
                              Nick