Dorfler, Derfler

  • Jerry Derfler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 1999
      Hi, new to this list.

      My Grandfather emigrated from Listany or Horany,Louny, Bohemia in about
      1909 to the US. His old military papers list his name as Dorfler ("o"
      with umlat). He has been known with the surname Derfler as were his
      brothers who also emigrated. I've heard of Americanization of names,
      but could there have been some "event" in Bohemia sometime between
      1900-1909 that would call for a name change? Grandfather born in 1885.

      Thanks in advance,

      Jerry Derfler
      Kansas
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 1999
        Hi!

        Yours is a Germanic based name - or at least it has a firm Germanic
        (Austrian) translation. D�rfler or Doerfler are the accepted spellings,
        the "oe" being the proper substitute for the o umlaut. Dorf means
        'village', so I take Doerfler as 'villager'.

        Hope that is of interest. I am not aware of any incidents in 1905 in
        the Austrian province of Bohemia to inspire someone to change their
        name. With no better information, I am assuming they changed the name
        phonetically when they emmigrated to America, with Derfler in American
        matching their regional pronumciation. In some areas of Germany (and
        maybe parts of Austria) you would have ended up being a Dorfler.

        Ron